Re: Memorial Day

    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2010

      Saturday I was aboard the O'BRIEN for the Seamens Memorial Cruise. Once again we had a wreath in rememberance of our breathern who have passed over the final bar. Other council members were aboard as well including:

      • Ken Blue, President of the Sacramento Valley Chapter of the AMMV, with a memorial wreath.
      • Fr. James Wade handling the prayers for the occasion. The ashes of five souls were scattered at sea.
      • Jefferys Wiener, documenting everything with his camera. Wife Marion accompanied him.
      • The O'BRIEN's Executive Director Dennis Koller and his wife Mary Jane hosted an afternoon reception for the ship's French guests. Mary Jane earler in the day joined our council!
      • O'BRIEN Executive Assistant Elizabeth Anderson, attending to assorted details.
      • Sea Cadet Chief Davis Freitas kept tabs on the Arkansas Division Sea Cadets. Also aboard were Pyro Division Sea Cadets.

      The weather was fantastic, the Bay smooth as glass, the cruise simply wonderful! BRAVO ZULU to all the ship volunteers, each making the day extra special.

      Sunday I was involved with the "Reading of the Names." 10,500+ military who called California home but died in Vietnam or from that conflict's wounds later. I was able to discuss the involvement of the Merchant Marine and their losses, see http://www.usmm.org/vietnam.html. When it came time for wreaths, the council had a wreath with "We Remember" prominent along with our NLUS Crest and that of the Merchant Marine. Several individuals came up to me afterwards to express their appreciation.

      Monday, I returned to the VA Medical Center - Mather Field, Rancho Cordova for the 4th annual memorial program there. No speach but as in years past a wreath from the Navy League. The Navy League was involved with funding the construction of the Veterans Memoral Plaze directly in front of the main entrance.

      Phelps