National Maritime Day, 5/22/2010, 12:00 am

  • PMMC-NLUS@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 21, 2010
      Reminder from: PMMC-NLUS Yahoo! Group

      Title: National Maritime Day

      Date: Saturday May 22, 2010
      Time: All Day
      Repeats: This event repeats every year.
      Location: Various
      Phone: (916) 739-6949
      Notes: National Maritime Day is devoted to recognition of the U. S. Flag Merchant Marine. Activities in San Francisco, Sacramento and throughout the United States.

      Message 2 of 3 , May 23, 2010

        Ahoy there,

        Our council event in Sacramento proceeded on course as planned. In addition to the Presidental Proclamation we had a proclamation from the Commissioner of the Port of West Sacramento and a letter from Representive Doris Matsui. All were read.

        Norman Fassler-Katz, Sr. Consultant to the California Senate Transportation Sub-Committee on California Ports and Goods Movement spoke on the subject and conveyed State Senator Alan Lowenthal's best wishes.

        The occasion had both somber moments and joyful moments. We toiled the bell for American Merchant Marine Veterans who passed over the final bar this past year. Admiral Tom Patterson was also remembered. After Taps, a musical interlude followed with a concluding encore singing of Heave Ho My Lads, Heave Ho.

        The California Railroad Museum's steam train passed by back and forth on the track adjacent to the Maritime Monument. It evokeed nostalgia; in the past it was not a tourist train but  freight trains moving cargo to and from Sacramento's riverside maritime businesses on this same track.

        We thank Embassy Suites' contribution of the podium, chairs, and water for the occasion. Afterwards many of us had lunch together at the hotel's Tower Bridge Bistro.

        National Maritime Day
        Saturday May 22, 2010
        All Day

        Message 3 of 3 , May 23, 2010
          I just sent a thank-you to Victoria Santos, Director of Catering, at Embassy Suites, Sacramento - Riverfront Prominade for the assistance provided.

          We will be back 1100, Saturday, May 21, 2011 Lord willing. We will keep the event on Saturday since Sunday, May 22, 2011 will be the return of the huge Pacific Rim Festival in Old Sacramento.

          Let's hope we can team-up with other organizations in the San Francisco Bay Area to stage one or more National Maritime Day events as well.

          Now on to International Maritime Day - a 2010 salute to the Seafarer, to be recognized by our council luncheon Monday, September 20, with the men and women of the Seafarers International Union at their headquarters, 1121 7th Street, Oakland.

          I am going to see what I can do to get a state proclamation - California Maritime Day.

          Phelps