Fw: Two prominent women receive significant California Maritime Academy awards

    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2010

      Sooner or later we will have a Navy League / Pacific Merchant Marine Council gathering at the Academy - hopefully sooner!

      In addition to the news below, I am pleased to announce our council's newest member is Dr. Jim Burns. Jim recently came on board the Academy's staff as Dean, Extending Learning. We met at the California Maritime Leadership Symposium. He intends to see that the Academy's state of the art simulators will be made available for shipboard training by industry and union personnel.

      There is much to be said about the California Maritime Academy; http://www.csum.edu is a good place to start. One item of interest is the log of the SS Golden Bear; the first of its two annual summer cruises is now underway.

      If interested in giving to the Academy please inquire about the Rear Admiral Frank X. Johnston scholarship fund, http://www.csum.edu/Support/ScholarshipDonorGuide.asp. Adm. Johnston is a charter member of our council, a former director, and currently serves on the council's advisory board.

      PS Captain Graham has retired from the Academy and will be leaving the nuclear program at Lawrence Livermore Lab as well. He tells me he has a hideaway in New Mexico he is retreating to. Hum...

      Sent: Sunday, May 09, 2010 4:23 PM
      Subject: Two prominent women receive significant California Maritime Academy awards

      Two prominent women receive significant California Maritime Academy awards.

      Navy Leaguer Captain Lynn Fivey Korwatch received the California Maritime Academy's distinguished alumna award May 1!

      Capt. Korwatch is a 1976 Academy graduate - a member of the first class of women to graduate. She is recognized as the first woman to command a large modern American oceangoing vessel - hauling containers I believe. She was born and raised the Bay Area. Upon graduation she went to sea for 17 years. With Matson Navigation Company she was head of the firm¬ís marine operations.

      In that capacity, she became a member of the Board of Directors of the Marine Exchange of the San Francisco Bay Region. When the director of the Exchange passed away, the Exchange president invited her to become Executive Director; she accepted in September of 2000.

      In addition to everything else she has been active as president of the CMA Alumni Association.

      Husband Larry, also a 1976 CMA graduate, captain, and Navy League member, was also on hand May 1. Son Kent was one of the 166 Class of 2010 graduates.

      I chatted with her at the California Maritime Leadership Symposium, May 6 after she had just completed moderating a panel discussion on the impact of climate change on California maritime shipping.

      Vice Admiral Jody A. Breckenridge, USCG, was the speaker for the California Maritime Academy officer commissioning ceremony in the morning and at the commencement ceremony in the afternoon May 1st. She currently serves as Commander Pacific Area and Coast Guard Defense Forces West,

      Admiral Breckenridge received a special President's award from California Maritime Academy President Rear Admiral William Eisenhardt for her service to the maritime community. She will be retiring from the Coast Guard immediately following a change of command Monday 1030, May 17.

      Let me know if you have not received an invitation to this event and you strongly desire to attend. No promises but I will see what I can do.

      More on these two special gals may be seen in the California Maritime Academy's media release of April 27, 2010: http://www.csum.edu/News/NewsReleases/2009/documents/2010CommencementwPhotos.pdf.

      The California Maritime Academy, Vallejo, CA, a campus of The California State University, is one of only seven degree-granting maritime academies in the United States, and the only one on the West Coast. Cal Maritime offers four-year degrees in international business and global logistics, facilities engineering technology, global studies and maritime affairs, marine engineering technology, marine transportation, and mechanical engineering, as well as professional development and extended learning programs and courses. For more information about Cal Maritime, visit http://www.csum.edu. Some 166 cadets crossed the stage at the Vallejo campus to receive their degrees May 1.

      BRAVO ZULU to Captain Lynn Korwatch and Vice Admiral Jody Breckenridge!

      Senior Vice President
      Pacific Central Region, NLUS