USCG Cutter WAESCHE (WMSL 751) Commissioned May 7

    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2010
      Ahoy,

      It was a great Navy League day May 7 at Coast Guard Island. I can't do the occasion justice but let me give a few random thoughts.

      Jeanne Sharkey and her commissioning committee did a swell job. From my point of view the event went off without a hitch. She was up on the dais along with the other VIPs.

      Navy Leaguers in attendance included NLUS Past President Sheila McNeill and her husband from Georgia and NLUS National Vice President ADM. John Tozzi, USCG (Ret.) and his wife. Reps from several Pacific Central Region councils were in attendance.

      The weather was gorgeous - perfect clear skies with a slight off-shore breeze; the temperature hovered slightly below 80 degrees.

      We will have more photos as they become available. Right now check out http://media.globenewswire.com/noc/mediagallery.html?pkgid=7450. If others could report on the day, it would be appreciated!

      I wish I could provide copies of the speeches. Every one was a winner. ADM. Waesche, USCG, was an inspirational officer. His accomplishments are legendary (The WMSL class of ships is "Legend Class"). ADM. Waesche's granddaughter and the ship's sponsor Marilla Waesche Pivonka, http://www.marilla.us, won everyone's heart. She has been involved from the christening thourgh today and into the ship and crew's future. Her photo in the program shows her with her guitar. She had it with her when she traveled north on board from Mexico.

      Everyone agreed with me that the commissioning was emotional; it embodies our nation's past, the here and now, and its future.

      We can look forward to the next legend class cutter to be commissioned here, the Stratton, named for USCG Captain Dorothy Stratton, http://www.uscg.mil/History/people/DStrattonBio.asp.

      Semper Paratus,

      Senior Vice President
      Pacific Central Region, NLUS

      U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Waesche (WMSL 751) Commissioned in Ship's Home Port of Alameda

      Press Release Source: Northrop Grumman Corp. On Friday May 7, 2010, 4:49 pm EDT

      ALAMEDA, Calif., May 7, 2010 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Today the Northrop Grumman Corporation-built ( NYSE :NOC - News) National Security Cutter (NSC) USCGC Waesche was commissioned here, allowing the service's most capable and technologically-advanced maritime asset to join the Coast Guard fleet.

      A photo accompanying this release is available at http://media.globenewswire.com/noc/mediagallery.html?pkgid=7450

      "Today's commissioning completes the cycle from christening to commissioning of this highly capable ship," said Vice Admiral David Pekoske, Vice Commandant, U.S. Coast Guard . "It is through the strong partnership with industry, from concept to delivery, that you see this fine ship behind me. I thank our industrial partners, Northrop Grumman and Lockheed Martin for their industry best practices that built Waesche. Your employees who built this ship are providing a service to this nation and I thank you."

      Waesche is named for Adm. Russell R. Waesche, who was the first Coast Guard commandant to achieve the rank of admiral. He led the Coast Guard from 1936 to 1946, which is the longest tenure of any USCG commandant.

      Adm. Waesche's granddaughter and ship's sponsor Marilla Waesche Pivonka ordered the men and women of the Waesche crew to "man our ship and bring her to life." The crew responded with an "aye aye ma'am" and double-timed it through the spectators on Coast Guard Island in Alameda, Calif.

      "This is a proud day to be a shipbuilder," said Irwin F. Edenzon, vice president and general manager of Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding-Gulf Coast. "When you see the Coast Guard bring USCGC Waesche to life, for us it represents the culmination of years of hard work by thousands of shipbuilders. I believe Admiral Waesche would understand the skills and experience required of craftsmen and women and the millions of hours of hard, yet careful, labor and striving every day to get it right and do it better."

      U.S. Coast Guard Capt. Lance Bardo assumed command as commanding officer of Waesche. The ship will be homeported in Alameda.

      Waesche is the second of eight planned ships in the new class of highly capable, technologically advanced multimission cutters. Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding is responsible for the construction and testing of the NSC's hull, mechanical and electrical systems, while Lockheed Martin is building and integrating the command, control, communications, computers, intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (C4ISR) capabilities onboard the cutters.

      The NSC is a 418-foot vessel with a 4,488 ton displacement at full load and is powered by a combined diesel and gas turbine power propulsion plant driving twin screws with a maximum speed of over 28 knots. The cutter includes an aft launch and recovery area for two rigid hull inflatable boats, an expansive flight deck able to accommodate a range of rotary wing manned and unmanned aircraft and state-of-the-art command and control systems. In addition, the cutter features improved habitability, and a design to facilitate optimized crewing and enhance onboard quality of life for a mixed gender crew.

      Northrop Grumman Corporation is a global defense and technology company whose 120,000 employees provide innovative systems, products, and solutions in information and services, electronics, aerospace and shipbuilding to government and commercial customers worldwide.

      USCG 11th District Media Releases