Fw: National President's Message - April 26, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26 8:32 PM
      Navy League President's Message

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Monday, April 26, 2010 9:21 AM
      Subject: National President's Message - April 26, 2010

       If you have trouble viewing this email, click here.
                                                                                                                              April 26, 2010
      Dear Fellow Navy Leaguers,

      Since my last message in March, the front office has been continuing calls on U.S. Navy Flag Officers and U.S. Marine Corps general officers to update them on the upcoming Sea-Air-Space Exposition, now less than a week away. Having met with more than 35 flag officers over the past three months, we briefed them as well on our ongoing legislative affairs work at the Navy League, and on new energy initiatives at the Dept. of Defense. Recent calls included Adm. Gary Roughead, Chief of Naval Operations, and Gen. James Conway, Commandant of the U.S. Marine Corps.

      More recently, I visited with Representative Rob Wittman (Va. 1st District) to discuss matters of mutual interest such as shipbuilding, and the need to grow the fleet and increase the budget for the Coast Guard.  He was very appreciative of the input from the Navy League.

      On Friday, April 16, the Navy League held a special topics breakfast for our corporate sponsors to hear Robert O. Work, Under Secretary of the Navy, give a presentation on the recently completed Quadrennial Defense Review (QDR) and the potential impacts from the Navy’s perspective. It was a highly successful gathering of more than 60 guests, and several senior business executives said it was one of the best breakfast briefings they had attended in many years.  Well done to our staff led by Doug Crawford for making this a great success.

      Several of headquarters staffers attended the annual Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society fundraiser and Ball Saturday, April 17, in Washington, DC.  The black tie event was attended by over 1000, and more than $750,000 was raised for the Relief Society.

      On Tuesday, April 20, I had the pleasure of holding a business meeting with the Chattanooga Council, and speaking at their dinner meeting.  It was a very positive and enjoyable visit for Kathleen and me. The Chattanooga Council is vibrant and engaged and doing great work for the Navy League, and, as you may recall, the 2011 Convention is slated to be held in Chattanooga. Council President Noah Long and wife Marilyn were our hosts for the visit to their outstanding Council.  They and all the Chattanooga Council are to be commended. It was particularly wonderful while there to visit with Past President Jack Spittler who is very active and in good health. I came to appreciate what a wonderful atmosphere it is—the residents are all friendly and warm, and the city has many, many interesting sites to visit, along with much to see for Civil War buffs.  A good time for all is envisioned during your visit to Chattanooga.  The 2011 convention is shaping up to be a great one so please plan ahead and join us there in 2011.

      In the meantime, visit http://www.chattanoogafun.com/ to learn more.

      Our near-term focus is on the upcoming Sea-Air-Space Exposition held for the second year at Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center adjacent to Washington, D.C.  I hope to see as many Navy League members as possible in attendance this year. The new location is quite spectacular and would be fun to visit during this three-day event.  As one of the largest maritime defense trade shows in the world, Sea-Air-Space is also one of the Navy League’s most important events for corporate fundraising, revenue and exposure, and all of our staff is working diligently to ensure its success again this year.

      Along with the 150-plus defense industry exhibitors, there are professional seminars and floor presentations taking place throughout the event. New this year is the Navy League's Energy Pavilion, where a handful of exhibitors are committed to the topic of renewable energy so that they can assist the Navy in its program to better utilize energy alternatives in the fleet and ashore in order to reduce dependence on traditional fossil fuel.

      During Sea-Air-Space, a President's Circle Reception is planned for Monday evening, May 3rd at Gaylord Center. If you have not already done so, consider joining the President's Circle and attending Sea Air Space May 3-5, 2010. Please join us if you can, and visit the Sea-Air-Space website for more details!

      Maritime Policy Statement 2010-2011

      The Navy League’s Maritime Policy Statement for 2010-2011 is now available electronically and in hard copy, and I invite all members to read it as soon as you can.  Over the past ten months, the Maritime Policy Committee, led by Jim Offutt, worked to produce an outstanding policy statement that can be used by all of our members as a tool for communicating to our local legislators and as a tool for encouraging membership by educating citizens about the issues and priorities that drive this organization. The 2010-2011 statement provides recommendations for strategy, policy and the allocation of national resources in support of your Sea Services, underscoring the issue that the primary problem facing the Navy today is the lack of a fully funded, achievable shipbuilding program that produces the right mix of ships, with the right capability for the right costs in economic quantities over the next 25 years. In addition to the needs of the fours sea service branches, the policy calls attention to other key topics—such as shipbuilding, the industrial base, the maritime transportation system and sea service personnel.

      Please contact Daisy Khalifa at headquarters at dkhalifa@... if you would like hard copy versions of the 2010-2011 Navy League Maritime Policy Statement. Also contact Daisy for a copy of the NLUS Elevator Speech.

      Spring 2010 Board of Directors Meeting

      The Navy League’s Board of Director’s Meeting is set for June 2-4 in Arlington, Va. at the Westin Gateway Hotel. Your May issue of SEAPOWER magazine features a registration form and schedule of events and you can visit the Board of Director’s Meeting website for a detailed schedule of events and to register.

      Events on the Horizon

      Sea-Air-Space Exposition                                         May 3-5, 2010              National Harbor, Md.
      Ship Commissioning: USCG Cutter Waesche        May 7, 2010                 Alameda, Ca.
      Board of Director’s Meeting                                       June 2-4, 2010            Arlington, Va.
      Ship Commissioning: USS Missouri                         July 31, 2010               Groton, Ct.
      Navy League National Convention                             Oct. 20-24, 2010         Jacksonville, Fl.

      Many thanks to all of our Navy League members worldwide for making the Navy League effective in supporting the Sea Services.  I will say again that it is you in the field who are so important and vital to our mission.  You are the Navy League and I continue to salute you and say thank you.  As you have heard me say many times, we are staying focused on membership growth and fundraising so we can better execute our mission.  It is up to all of us to make progress.  So if not us, then who? If not now, then when?

      My warmest regards,

      Daniel B. Branch, Jr.

      National President

      Navy League of the United States