Fw: Maritime Security Industry Day, May 26, 2010

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 12, 2010
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Gould, Laura LTJG" <Laura.E.Gould at uscg dot mil>
    Sent: Monday, April 12, 2010
    Subject: Maritime Security Industry Day 2010

    Good Morning CSOs, FSOs, Agency Representatives and Industry Partners,

    The United States Coast Guard Sector San Francisco, in conjunction with the
    California Maritime Academy will be hosting the Annual Maritime Security
    Industry Day on May 26th, 2010. Attached you will find a copy of the
    Invitation Letter, Agenda and Registration form, a hard copy of which was
    mailed today.

    Some basic information:

    When: Wednesday May 26th, 2010 7:30 AM - 12:00 PM.

    Where: California Maritime Academy
    200 Maritime Academy Drive, Vallejo CA 94590

    Who Should Attend:

    - Federal, state and local officials involved with maritime security
    - Industry security partners, Facility Security Officers, Vessel Security
    Officers, and Company security officers seeking insight into government
    plans for improved security.
    -Interested Maritime Security Industry Partners and Representatives

    Please utilize the provided registration form and return to me via email or
    fax. Thank you. We look forward to your attendance at this year's event!

    Respectfully,

    LTJG Laura Gould
    United States Coast Guard
    Sector San Francisco
    Port Safety and Security
    (510)-437-2739
    Message 2 of 5 , May 19, 2010
      Several events ahead - for those interested this should prove
      interesting. I look forward to returning to the California Maritime
      Academy for the day.

      A statewide Homeland Defense major exercise - Golden Guardian -
      involving port security in progress curently. I tried to visit the
      O'BRIEN at the Port of Sacramento without success yesterday evening.

      Phelps

      --- In PMMC-NLUS@yahoogroups.com, "Pacific Merchant Marine Council"

      Message 3 of 5 , May 27, 2010

        The United States Coast Guard Sector San Francisco, in conjunction with the California Maritime Academy hosted the Annual Maritime Security Industry Day Wednesday morning May 26th, 2010 at the California Maritime Academy. Federal, state and local officials involved with maritime security along with industry security partners, security officers ashore and afloat attended.

        Council members in attendance in addition to myself were:
        • Jim Burns, Dean, Extended Learning, California Maritime Academy (new council member)
        • Ed Hughlett, Manager Northern California Area Safety and Health, PortsAmericia
        • John Hummer, Northern California Gateway Director, Maritime Administration (newest council member)
        • Lynn Korwatch, Executive Director, Marine Exchange of the San Francisco Bay Region
        Topics included administrative matters associated with the Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC), the Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standard (CFATS), Training Trends in the Maritime Industry, Port Security Grant Program, and the Maritime Security Risk Analysis Model (MSRAM). Probably equally valuable were the breaks; they provided opportunities for attendees to meet and chat on security matters. The focus was at the federal level though the state is deeply involved in maritime security and has its own programs and requirements.

        The just completed Department of Emergency Preparedness exercise Golden Guardian 2010, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PMMC-NLUS/message/717, for example, was not discussed. Possibly next year, the Maritime Security Industry Day, could be delayed a few weeks so that information gained by maritime aspects of Golden Guardian could be incorporated.

        For next year I would also welcome a couple of maritime industry panels - one focused on challenges meeting anti-terrorism standards and another on facility terrorism experiences. I think the reality of day to day, 24/7, situations not just meeting evolving standards and keeping up with reporting requirements and obtaining funding needs to shared.

        There is a lot happening in this industry sector as the anti-terrorism gear improves. I think the manufacturers and suppliers of security equipment would jump at the opportunity to show their wares if afforded the chance.

        If I could equate it to school, too much on preparing for the next test and not enough on learning and application.

        Jim, Ed, John, and Lynn, your comments on the day are welcomed.

        We thank the Coast Guard and the California Maritime Academy for hosting this important event.

        I set up a Navy League and Jones Act information table. Attendees picked up the literature as they departed.

        Message 4 of 5 , May 27, 2010

          The US is about to announce a slight redirection of its anti-terrorism effort. More attention will be focused on home-grown terrorists as opposed to current efforts addressing foreign nationals. I asked a question on this very subject Wednesday. The TWIC program is a first line of defense in this regard to port operations. But I asked what about the dock worker with a TWIC card intent on doing damage or harm?

          Some firebrands in the USA are encouraging insurrection here. Training is available for weapon production on the internet or overseas. It may even be available right here in the USA. Individuals under the influence of these zealots can easily travel overseas for training as well - not a direct flight mind you but with two or three stops and changes of planes. Does the TWIC program have the ability to keep up with the foreign travel of every TWIC card holder? What about false IDs?

          At least TWIC is a start.

          Here is some information on the redirection of our federal anti-terrorism program - more focus on US citizens.

          Message 5 of 5 , May 27, 2010