New Pacific Merchant Marine Council Established in San Francisco

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2010

    John A. Panneton at the PMMC Chartering Ceremony, 11 December 2006
    John A. Panneton, National President, Navy League of the United States Remarks at Pacific Merchant Marine Council Chartering Ceremony, 11 December 2006 It is...

    Council makes the front page of http://navyleague. org!
    New Pacific Merchant Marine Council established in San Francisco National President John Panneton inaugurated the Pacific Merchant Marine Council, the Navy...

    Any web search will also reveal a lot about our council. We are definitely on the internet! We just had a individual join us on our Linkedin page, http://www.linkedin.com/e/vgh/2544631. Below is a January 2007 news post on the Monterey Council website: http://navyleaguemonterey.com/?p=21.

    Thank you charter members and members who have joined later for simply being members. I find guiding this new council stimulating. We have earned some awards along the way and made a number of friends. 2010 is going to be a fine year - definitely don't jump ship.

    I received a thank you from NLUS president Dan Branch on our membership recruiting efforts - we have led the Pacific Central Region the past three years - and encouragement to continue. Please continue to bring your friends and associates on board, http://www.navyleague.org/membership. For corporate members we are working with Doug Crawford, very active within the successful Santa Barbara Council and now NLUS Senior Director of Corporate Development.

    Pacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS

    New Pacific Merchant Marine Council Established in San Francisco

    Navy League’s newest council, the Pacific Merchant Marine Council, was ‘launched’ aboard the SS Jeremiah O’Brien in San Francisco December 11 by National President John Panneton, accompanied by VADM Albert Herberger, National Vice President for Merchant Marine Affairs. RADM Frank X. Johnston, MARAD Western Administrator joined in the event.

    The charter ceremony, held aboard the World War II liberty ship, was witnessed by 80 attendees as the 44 charter members were recognized and sworn in. The first Council President is Captain Kerry O’Brien, USMM(Ret.), and the membership includes many merchant mariners, union representatives and Navy Leaguers who became dual members.

    Pacific Merchant Marine Council is the culmination of [a concerted] effort to focus attention on the nation’s US-Flag Merchant Marine, according to Don Hale, Pacific Central Region president.

    “The setting for this important event in the Navy League, aboard the historic Jeremiah O’Brien in San Francisco Bay, seemed most appropriate,” Hale commented. “We expect the Council to grow under Kerry O’Brien’s leadership … as the significance of its focus grows.”

    January 29, 2007 · Filed under Navy League News