Salute To Vietnam Veterans 5 March & Iwo Jima Commemoration 9 March @ Marines Memorial Club San Francisco

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18, 2010

      From: MajGen Mike Myatt
      Sent: Wed, February 17, 2010
      Subject: RE: Marine Events

      I appreciate you sending out this notice.

      The “Salute To Vietnam veterans” on Friday, 5 MARCH will be fascinating. It starts at 6 pm, includes a reception, dinner, music and great speakers. We’ll have band music playing Vietnam-era songs….  (When we held our first “salute’ two years ago, everyone was up dancing!) and, if you read the exchange of letters between Gen Barry McCaffrey and Dan Garcia in our Crossroads magazine last year,  you’ll be moved because they will see each other for the 1st time since Vietnam . Joe Galloway will speak and introduce General McCaffrey to speak.

      One change for all: the Iwo Jima commemoration is on TUESDAY, 9 MARCH, starting at 1130 I hope you will all come. LtGen Snowden will speak. He is taking General Conway to Iwo Jima the week before and will have some wonderful stories to tell. During our program that day, we will also have the author of the book: “the Last Lieutenant” speak (This book is the story of one Marine platoon. It began on Iwo with 41 men, received 19 replacements and after four weeks of combat came away from Iwo with the Lieutenant and ten men. From a total of 60 men, twenty were killed and thirty evacuated because of wounds. All this in 28 days. This book is the story of that Lieutenant, the uncle of the author.

      I’d appreciate if you all would spread the word and help us get a good crowd for both events.

      s/f

      M2

      MajGen USMC (Ret.)

      President and CEO

      Marines' Memorial Association

      415.673.6681

      Email: M2 at MarineClub dot com

      From: Subject: Marine Events

      My brother and sister Marines and, Marine Corps supporters. I have recently been advised of the following: During the month of March there will be some great events conducted at the Marines Memorial that I believe you would enjoy attending. The events are :

      1.  2nd Annual Salute to Vietnam Veterans dinner, Friday, 5 March at 1800 hours. Guest speakers will be Joe Galloway and, General Barry Mc Caffery ( USA   ret.) The cost is $65.00

      2. Iwo Jima 65th Anniversary Luncheon, Monday 8 March at 1130 hrs. Guest speaker will be General Larry Snowden (USMC Ret.). Unless you are an Iwo Jima veteran the cost is $39.00. Iwo Jima veterans will be given 2 complimentary tickets.

      If interested in attending either of these events you can register on line or, by calling the Marine Memorial Club at 415-673-6722 Ext. 229

      Hopefully you will attend one of these events and,  we will see each other at our Marines Memorial.

      Semper Fidelis
      Mike (Belmo) Belmessieri
      Sr. Vice Commandant
      Gen. J. C. Breckinridge Detachment 010