Fw: National President's Message - February 3, 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2010
      Navy League President's Message

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 2:11 PM
      Subject: National President's Message - February 3, 2010

       If you have trouble viewing this email, click here.
                                                                                                                              February 3, 2010

      Dear Fellow Navy Leaguers,

      I wish you all a happy, prosperous and productive New Year. This is my third monthly message to our members and with it I want to update you on a variety of things that are happening within our organization, including news and updates from the field and at national headquarters.

      On my recent trips to the Pacific Northwest, Santa Barbara, and Fort Lauderdale, I was energized by Navy League members, whose enthusiasm and involvement with the Navy, Coast Guard and military families and with all of the Sea Services is truly remarkable.  I treasure getting around to council and region meetings, and I look forward to visiting many more in 2010.  During these visits, I try to set aside time to meet with directors and local Navy League leaders to discuss Navy League goals and objectives, and to bring all up to date on what we are doing from a national perspective.

      From the Field

      During my January 20 visit to the Santa Barbara Council, Chief of Naval Operations, Admiral Gary Roughead, USN, was featured speaker at an installation meeting and reception in which Lin Graf replaced Karen Crawford as Council President. Adm. Roughead presented Karen with the Department of the Navy Superior Public Service Award, the Navy’s second highest public service award, for her outstanding support of Sailors and Marines and the council’s excellent efforts to educate the public during her four years in office. Karen will continue to serve on the council’s Board of Directors.  Congratulations and welcome aboard to the new Council President Lin Graf.

      At a January 21 dinner hosted by the Denver Council, Kathleen and I had the pleasure of hearing Rear Adm. Phil Wisecup, President of the Naval War College, give a fascinating presentation on the Newport, RI-based institution. I’d like to note that in Denver, as with all of the Councils we visited in January, there were many Sea Cadets, active-duty military, and Reservists in attendance.

      On a visit to the Pacific Northwest and the Puget Sound area January 11-16, we met with personnel from Councils in Lake Washington, Seattle, Oak Harbor, Bellingham, Bremerton and Everett.  We enjoyed an array of informative tours and official visits with Navy and Coast Guard commands.   Our schedule included tours of Naval Station Everett, Submarine Base Bangor, Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Naval Undersea Warfare Center Keyport, Naval Air Station Whidbey Island, Todd Shipyard in Seattle, Coast Guard Base Seattle, Naval Hospitals Bangor and Whidbey Island, Ice Breakers Healey and Polar Star, USCG Cutter Midgett and Naval Base Kitsap, in addition to visits to drydocks, submarines, surface ships and aircraft in Whidbey Island. The visit included briefings with Navy and Coast Guard commands and meetings with area admirals and with the Captain of the Port inSeattle. Council events attended were the Bremerton Council luncheon meeting, the Lake Washington Council dinner(celebrating their 10th anniversary), and the Oak Harbor Council luncheon.  The Lake Bremerton and Oak Harbor Councils jointly celebrated the Lake Washington Council’s 10th anniversary in an event hosted by Rear Admiral James Symonds, USN, Commander Navy Region Northwest. Hosts for this outstanding week were Carol Meteney, Ken Sparks and Beth Munns. Congratulations to new council presidents Gary Gunderson in Bremerton and Pete Starr in Lake Washington.

      Kathleen and I also attended the Fort Lauderdale Council’s Seven Seas Gala, a black tie event for more than 200 guests, which was dedicated to the exceptional service of its Council members. Congratulations to new council president Rudy Oetting in Fort Lauderdale. I’d like to thank Chuck Black for hosting the Gala, and also for hosting an excellent meeting of the Florida business leadership.

      National

      Sea-Air-Space Exposition: We are gearing up for the Navy League’s signature defense industry event this spring, the Sea-Air-Space (SAS) Exposition. For the second year, the event will be held at the stunning Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center at National Harbor, Md. The SAS committee is actively pursing seminar speakers, planning events, receptions and coordinating the myriad logistics that go into staging the world’s largest maritime defense trade show. The theme this year is “Responding Globally—Engaged at Sea & Ashore.” For more information, visit the Web site at www.seaairspace.org or go to the Navy League Web site and click the SAS icon.  Please try to attend this year if you can.  It is exceptional and all members of the Navy League are more than welcome.

      Legislative Affairs:  Most of you know that we have been working hard to communicate to Congress the need to increase the size of the Navy’s fleet, stabilize the Coast Guard’s Deepwater program, and reset critical Marine Corps hardware worn down in Afghanistan and Iraq.  The ongoing events in Haiti bring these messages home quite clearly. The Coast Guard was first on the scene, followed closely by Navy and Marine Corps units transported by Navy ships.  USNS Comfort (T-AH 20), a hospital ship, was quickly activated, staffed from the National Naval Medical Center in Bethesda, Md., and deployed to Haiti to provide medical services for people injured in the earthquake.  Some of the USN/USMC and USCG units involved in Operation Unified Response Haiti include: Carrier Strike Group One; the 22nd and 24th Marine Expeditionary Units (MEU); the Security Cooperation Marine Air-Ground Task Force from Africa Partnership Station 10; Coast Guard Cutters Oak and Legare; and, five Port Security Units.

      Many of you attended the Chief of Naval Operation’s “Conversations with the Country,” when the new National Maritime Policy was introduced to the public in October 2007. One of the key missions in that strategy for the Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard is humanitarian relief.  Our sea services have been engaged actively in recent years with Hurricane Katrina in the Gulf Coast, the tsunami in Asia, and now the earthquake in Haiti.

      Today, of the 285 ships and submarines in the Navy’s fleet, 37% of the ships and 32% of the submarines are on deployment, as are more than 45,000 Navy personnel. All of us joined the Navy League for a reason, some wanting to “continue to serve,” and many to support their children who are serving on active duty or in our youth groups. As long as we continue to serve their needs, remain involved in our communities, and educate the public and local and national leaders, we will grow and prosper!

      Staff News: Daisy Khalifa has joined the headquarters staff as Senior Director of Communications. Daisy handles overall communications (written, online, e-mail, and social media) with our diverse constituencies: Members of Congress, Sea Service leaders, business and community leaders, and, of course, our membership. We welcome Daisy and look forward to her improving internal and external communications. Please share your thoughts with Daisy at dkhalifa@..., or call 703-312-1557.

      Navy League Web site: I strongly encourage all members to take the time periodically to check the Navy League Web site (www.navyleague.org). Our team at headquarters is constantly updating sections of the site with Council news, membership information and directories, the most current issue of Seapower, defense news, progress on the upcoming SAS Exposition and a wide range of other items. While we are always working to improve the site, we always value your feedback. It is a valuable source of information for our members, and we hope you will use the Web site on a regular basis!

      Events on the Horizon:

      Sea-Air Space Exposition:         May 3-5, 2010   Gaylord National Resort & Convention Center

      Board of Directors Meeting:       June –July timeframe      Arlington, Virginia

      National Convention:                   October 20-24, 2010       Jacksonville, Florida

      Thank you for your time, your energy, your enthusiasm, and your patriotism. Together, we will strengthen the Navy League and expand the scope of our public education mission.  Please let me hear from you and send me word of your accomplishments and outstanding activities that I might be able to include in my next Navy League member’s message. Lastly, please forward this message along to other members who may not yet be on our distribution lists.

      Warm regards,

      Daniel B. Branch, Jr.
      National President
      Navy League of the United States