Fw: Two Important Marines' Memorial Events Coming Up....Register Now

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 30, 2007

      Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2007 4:42 PM
      Subject: Two Important Marines' Memorial Events Coming Up....Register Now

      Members and Friends of Marines' Memorial:

      We have two very significant events on the near horizon. I know you will want to attend them both. First is a talk by the new Commander , US Central Command, Adm Fallen. Second is a presentation by the Pulitzer-prize winning author, Lawrence Wright, who wrote the book "The Looming Tower: Al Qaeda and the Road to 9/11". See details below:

      1. Event Number 1:  On Tuesday evening, 4 September, in partnership with the Commonwealth Club of California, Admiral William Fallon, Commander of the US Central Command will be in town to speak. He is responsible for operations in Iraq and Afghanistan, and will be here to speak on the topic: "Establishing Security and Stability in the Central Command Region". Please note that Marines' Memorial Members get the Commonwealth Club rate of   $12 admission. This event is being held at the Commonwealth Club on Market Street, staring at 6 pm. See the announcement below, and click on the "Make a Reservation button below to register for the event.
      .

      ADMIRAL WILLIAM FALLON | TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 4
      Commander, U.S. Central Command

      A LATE-BREAKING PROGRAM!

      ESTABLISHING SECURITY AND STABILITY IN THE CENTRAL COMMAND REGION

      As the countdown continues to the official report on the effectiveness of the surge, Admiral Fallon will discuss the state of U.S. military involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan. Fallon, a decorated military officer with decades of experience, replaced General Abizaid as commander at U.S. Central Command in March 2007, before which time he was the commander at U.S. Pacific Command. A graduate of both the Naval War College and National War College, he has a Master's in international studies from Old Dominion University.

      5:30 p.m., Wine and cheese reception | 6:00 p.m., Program | Club office, 595 Market St., 2nd Floor, San Francisco | $12 for Club/Marines Memorial Members, $18 for Non-Members | Directions to The Club.
      In association with Marines Memorial Association

      _________________________________________________________________________________________________________

      2. Event Number 2: On Friday evening, 14 September, in partnership with the World Affairs Council of Northern California, we will hold a "Meet the Author Program" featuring Mr. Lawrence Wright speaking on his book: The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11.  In May of this year, Mr Wright was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for this book. If you want to know more about Osama bin Laden and the enemy we face today in this world, you won't want to miss this program.

      Moderating this program will be Dr. Kevin Starr, noted author, History Professor at USC and California State Librarian Emeritus.  This event will be held in our Theater at the Marines' Memorial. A copy of Mr Wright's book is included in the $20 registration . A Wine Reception will follow. Go to our website at www.MarineClub.com to register.

             FRIDAY 14 SEPTEMBER 2007
                         ~ Program Schedule ~

                          Registration at 6:00 pm
                         MMC Theater, 2nd Floor

                           Program at 7:00pm

      TICKETS:

      MMA & Council Members:

      $20.00

      Non-Members:

      $30.00

      Admission includes
      a paperback copy of the book and wine reception

      This special event is co-sponsored by The World Affairs Council of Northern California

      MajGen USMC (Ret.)
      Pres/CEO
      Marines' Memorial Association
      A 501(c) 19 Non-Profit Veterans Organization
      Email:
      M2@...
      (w) 415-673-6681