CALMITSAC | California Maritime Leadership Symposium

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2010
      Message
      Ahoy Members and Friends,

      Yesterday I attended the CALMITSAC meeting in Sacramento. It was well attended, in spite of blustery weather, by members and a few guests and visitors, most from out of town and a few via a teleconference call. Council member Bob Dockendorff has been the CALMITSAC Chairman the past 2 1/2 years. Below was the meeting agenda. Please contact me if you would like to discuss any particular item.

      The presentation on the Port of Humboldt Bay, www.portofhumboldtbay.org , was of special note. Humboldt Bay is the only deep-water port on California's North Coast, serving as a major transportation link between the Pacific Northwest and the entire world. It is on the ropes for more than one reason but it has much going for it and it should be maintained for economic reasons as well as national security in times of emergency. The adjacent railroad, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwestern_Pacific_Railroad, seems to be now owned by the State of California - it doesn't operate. But Highway 101 parallels the tracks. A descending cascade effect occurs if shipping doesn't keep the port's bar pilots employed.

      The next meeting of CALMITSAC, www.calmitsac.org, is March 24 – CalTrans, 1126 N St, Sacramento. You are welcome to attend.

      Also on the horizon is the California Maritime Leadership Symposium, at the Hyatt Regency, 1209 L Street, Sacramento, Wednesday and Thursday, May 5 and 6 along with a reception on Wednesday evening in the Capitol Rotunda. Below is the tentative agenda. It was at this gathering last year that I first met John Denham, now one of our council directors. The cost to register for this event should be less than $150. It depends on the numbers of Symposium sponsors. If we had the funds in the council treasury, we would be a sponsor. The event has been scaled back to two days instead of three - missing is the accompanying CALMITSAC meeting. It doesn't fall directly on National Maritime Day but it is an outgrowth of California's Maritime Transportation System Month (May).

      Heave Ho.

      Thanks to those of you who have already registered to attend our council fundraiser for the International Maritime Center, Oakland, March 15. We are not kidding that space is limited to about 45 attendees.

      CALIFORNIA MARINE AND INTERMODAL TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM ADVISORY COUNCIL

      CAL-EPA Building

      1001 I Street, Sacramento

      Conference Room 310

      January 20, 2010

      10:30 A.M. – 3:30 P.M.

      AGENDA

      Opening Comments – Bob Dockendorff, Chair

      Introductions

      Interim Membership Survey – Dr. Tom O’Brien

      CALIFORNIA TRANSPORTATION COMMISSION – BRIEFING UPDATE

                  -          Maura Twomey, Deputy Director

      CALIFORNIA AIR RESOURCES BOARD – BRIEFING UPDATE

                  Prop. 1B – Cynthia Marvin, Assistant Division Chief

      Maritime Transportation System Leadership Seminar

      -          Jim Haussener-Exec. Dir. CMANC

      SPOTLIGHT ON PORTS

      -          Port of Humboldt Bay – David Hull, Executive Director

      CALTRANS Goods Movement 2010 direction

                  -          Richard Nordahl, Chief Goods Movement Department-CALTRANS

      Green and Efficient Ports Initiative – possible Action Item

      -          Bill Lyte, Technoplex and Julian Gresser of Manatt, Phelps, etc.

      Federal Cal DOT focus and future

                  -          Ken DeCrescenzo, Federal Liaison, Department of Transportation

      Technology cluster update

      -          Bill Lyte, Principal, Technoplex

      Workforce Development – Presentation by College of Alameda ATLAS program

                  Lorraine Giordano, Ph.D., Director

      MARAD – Briefing on relevant matters

      -          TIGER

      -          MTSNAC

      -          PORT SUMMIT

      -          TRANSPORTATION AUTHORIZATION

      -          MARINE HIGHWAY INITIATIVE

      Federal Freight Policy document discussion – possible Action Item

      Evaluation of Teleconference as a method for holding interim meetings

      Next meeting –  March 24 – CalTrans, 1126 N St, Sacramento

      Adjournment

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 25, 2010