Re: OBERSTAR CONTINUES TO PUSH AGGRESSIVE TRANSPORTATION AGENDA, INCLUDING HR 2651

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2010
      Message
      Thanks Berit - Good Reporting.

      From: Berit Eriksson
      Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:57 AM
      Subject: OBERSTAR CONTINUES TO PUSH AGGRESSIVE TRANSPORTATION AGENDA, INCLUDING HR 2651

      January 11, 2010 - 5:45 P.M.

      OBERSTAR CONTINUES TO PUSH AGGRESSIVE TRANSPORTATION AGENDA, INCLUDING COAST GUARD AND CRUISE VESSEL SAFETY ISSUES

      Congressman Jim Oberstar today used his chairmanship to dramatically increase the workload of the Transportation and Infrastructure Committee (T&I Committee). In Oberstar’s first three years at the helm, the committee has surpassed the 2003-2005 productivity levels established under Republican control.

      “This is not the time to be idle - our national transportation systems have been neglected over the past ten years,” said Oberstar. “Maintenance has not kept pace with the deterioration of our roads and bridges; we have not been upgrading locks and dams and investments in new technologies like high speed rail have been delayed. I am determined to address these issues with an aggressive legislative schedule.”

      In the first session of the 111th Congress, the T&I Committee moved 68 bills and resolutions through the full House. The following are among the key pieces of T&I legislation passed by the House and transmitted to the Senate:

      H.R. 915, the Federal Aviation Administration Authorization Act of 2009;

      H.R. 1062, the Water Quality Investment Act of 2009;

      H.R. 3619, the Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2010;

      H.R. 3371, the Airline Safety and Pilot Training Act of 2009;

      H.R. 1746, the Pre-Disaster Mitigation Act of 2009;

      H.R. 1665, the Coast Guard Acquisition Reform Act of 2009;

      H.R. 2093, the Clean Coastal Environment and Public Health Act of 2009;

      H.R. 2651, the Maritime Workforce Development Act;

      H.R. 3360, the Cruise Vessel Safety Act of 2009; and

      H.R. 1700, the National Women’s History Museum Act of 2009.

      Other important legislation moved through the House by the Committee includes extensions of authorizations for federal surface transportation and aviation programs into 2010. The Committee also developed a blueprint for a six-year, $500 billion surface transportation authorization bill.

      In addition, the Committee made significant contributions to H.R. 1, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, H.R. 146; the Omnibus Land Management Act of 2009; and H.R. 2868, the Chemical and Water Security Act of 2009.

      Oversight of the Recovery Act was and continues to be a high priority for the Committee. T&I held a total of 13 full committee and subcommittee oversight hearings on the Recovery Act through the end of 2009, questioning 103 witnesses over a span of 54 hours. The Committee also collected data from state and federal agencies on the use of Recovery Act funds and published monthly reports on those figures.

      Through the 110th Congress and now midway through the 111th Congress, the T&I Committee has held a total of 257 hearings in just three years, compared to 143 in the comparable three-year period of the 108th and 109th Congresses.

      #####

      Regards,

      Berit Eriksson

      Director of Workforce Development

      Andrew Furuseth School of Seamanship/Sailors Union of the Pacific

      450 Harrison Street

      San Francisco, CA. 94105

      Cell 206-551-1870

      Fax 415-371-1593