Invitation: Pacific Merchant Marine Council Luncheon Fundraiser March 15
Pacific Merchant Marine Council
Navy League of the United States
Citizens in Support of the Sea Services
YOURE INVITED TO LUNCH
THE INTERNATIONAL MARITIME CENTER (IMC)
· Date: Monday, 15 March Reservations limited to 45 So Dont Delay - Reserve Today
· Time: 1130 Meet and Greet, 1200 Lunch
· Place: International Maritime Center (IMC), 4001 7th Street , Port of Oakland , Outer Harbor. The IMC is located at the end of 7th Street in Point View Park.
· Menu: Five course Chinese feast You won't be disappointed.
· Cost: $25 advance reservation by check. $30 without reservation. $15 for those joining the PMMC Council day of lunch ($50 1 year, $90 2 years, $120 3 years, $500 life)
· Opportunity To Win: Winner Splits 50/50 cash raffle drawing with the IMC
· Dress: Business or casual
· Program: Outreach to Seafarers, a 2010 - The Year of the Seafarer." Come meet and hear IMC Program Coordinator Jim Lindgrin and IMC Community Relations Coordinator Adrien Yee tell us about how they, along with 20 volunteers and two chaplains, are part of a vast but little known network of centers that provide hospitality and outreach to seafarers at major ports around the globe. Learn how the Oakland International Maritime Center is carrying on the long tradition of caring for seafarers in the San Francisco Bay area that started in the early 1850s. This like the other centers is vital to the quality of the seafarers life. You will also view the Oakland Outer harbor up close and personal: container ships, cranes and container haulers moving containers in and out of the piers.
· RSVP Early: Head count is important as the meal will be catered. Make check payable to Sam Sause then mail it to Program Chair Sam Sause, Senior Vice President, Pacific Merchant Marine Council, 816 Grand Street, Alameda CA 94501 | (510) 865-0993 | samsause@... |
MARCH 15 LUNCH @ THE INTERNATIONAL MARITIME CENTER IN THE OUTER HARBOR OF THE PORT OF OAKLAND
4001 7th Street ( Berth 40) Oakland, CA
Date: Monday, 15 MARCH 2010 (EARLY RSVP APPRECIATED)
Time: Meet and Greet - 1130 hours~ Lunch @ 1200 hours
Program: The Oakland International Maritime Center's Outreach & Hospitality to Seafarers in Bay Area
Speakers Adrienne Yee IMC Community Development Director and Jim Lindgrin Center operations Manager
Make your reservations and mark your calendar for PMMC lunch on March 15 to l Learn how this Non Profit Organization operated by SCI Bay Area provides outreach and hospitality to seafarers regardless of nationality or faith The seafarers sailing the container ships typically spend about 250 days out of 300 at sea with port calls sometimes a little as 10 hours. The IMC reaches out to provide these men and women the means and the opportunity to get off the ship and contact loved ones via e-mail and phone, run errands, see new faces, or simply spending time relaxing and unwinding is an enormous morale booster. Chaplains and volunteers also help foreign seafarers navigate the Bay Area mass transit systems, wire money, and negotiate our language and social customs. Seafarers are met with dignity and open arms. Meet the crew that makes it happen and get a close up look at the Outer Harbor in the Port of Oakland.
· SPEAKERS . Adrienne Yee sailed nationally and internationally for eight years as Purser and Field Office Coordinator for the Semester at Sea (SAS) program operated by the Institute for Shipboard Education. Her last ship, and the one currently in operation, the MV Explorer, a 25,000 ton, 590 foot vessel with an 84 foot beam and a cruising speed of 28 knots (www.semesteratsea.org) & Jim has 45 years experience caring for seafarers and has more stories than he has time tell.
· Tour the IMC Facility before or after lunch
TARIFF $25 with advance reservation by check ~ $30 without RSVP