Horizon Lines Shifts to Ports America Terminal at Port of Oakland

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 8, 2010

      Looks like two of our members, Gil Freitas and Ed Hughlett, employed by Ports America at the Port of Oakland will be a bit busier. Good going Ports America.

      The council's March 15 luncheon meeting will be in Oakland when we gather at the International Maritime Center, 4001 7th Street, Pier 40 berth. A notice on this event will be sent out soon.

      Heave Ho!

      Phelps
      _________________________________

      Horizon Lines Shifts to Ports America Terminal at Port of Oakland

      Thursday, January 7, 2010

      Jones Act ocean carrier Horizon Lines has shifted its mainland US to Hawaii, Guam and Micronesia operations at the Port of Oakland to a terminal operated by Ports America, the largest independent terminal operating firm in North America.

      Charlotte, NC-based Horizon announced Monday that it had signed a deal to move its Oakland operations to the 160-acre terminal at 1599 Maritime Street, effective immediately.

      Horizon had been using the Oakland terminal at 1425 Maritime Street operated by APM Terminals.

      According to the Charlotte, NC-based carrier, service enhancements at the Ports America terminal include extended gate hours for early deliveries and lunchtime deliveries on Horizon Lines’ ship days with dedicated truck lanes. All transactions are processed via Electronic Data Interchange, with shipment status updates available through Horizon Lines' online shipment management portal NetCaptain.

      The Iselin, NJ-based Ports America signed a 50-year lease for the terminal last year, a deal which also gave the firm an equity stake in the Oakland terminal.
      ______________________________

      Port of Oakland Awards 50 Year Operating Concession to Ports America Affiliate

      http://www.portsamerica.com/pdf/PAOH_Press_Release_Final%20AM%2030409.pdf

      Oakland, California - March 3, 2009: Ports America Group (‘Ports America’) today

      announced that Ports America Outer Harbor LLC (‘Ports America Oakland’) has been

      selected by the Port of Oakland Board of Commissioners, in a competitive process, to

      upgrade and operate five container berths in the Port of Oakland through a 50-year

      concession and lease agreement.

      Ports America Oakland is a partnership between Ports America and Terminal

      Investments Limited (‘Terminal Investments’), an affiliate of Mediterranean Shipping

      Company, the second largest container shipping company in the world.

      Ports America, with 85 years experience, is the largest independent American terminal

      operator, stevedore and port-side vehicle processor, with operations in 50 ports and 97

      terminals. Ports America is controlled by Highstar Capital, a leading value added

      infrastructure investor, with over $15 billion of infrastructure investments made to date,

      primarily in the United States.

      The first phase of Ports America Oakland’s operational plan includes the investment of

      up to $150 million to upgrade 160 acres within the Port of Oakland, comprising some

      4,400 feet of berth. This investment is expected to create over 6,000 jobs within the Bay

      Area and Ports America estimates that it is likely to help to preserve an additional 85,000

      jobs regionally.

      Ports America Oakland's bid also includes a comprehensive environmental plan to

      supplement the Port of Oakland's ongoing program to significantly improve air quality in

      the San Francisco Bay area.

      In addition, during the life of its operational stewardship at the Port of Oakland, Ports

      America Oakland plans to invest significant additional capital to improve the

      competitiveness of the port for the benefit of its many served communities and

      customers. These investments are expected to aggregate to over $500 million, resulting in

      the creation of up to 12,000 direct and 240,000 indirect jobs.

      Commenting on the Oakland Concession, Ports America CEO Stephen Edwards stated,

      “On behalf of Ports America and our partner, Terminal Investments, we are extremely

      excited to work with the Port of Oakland to help implement their vision in taking this

      major American port to its fullest potential, now and for the long term future. We also

      very much appreciate the Port of Oakland’s confidence in us as the leading American

      port operator, including delivering the very best possible operational, environmental and

      financial commitment to our customers, partners, employees and the communities we

      serve.”

      Highstar Capital’s Founder and Managing Partner Christopher Lee added, “The Oakland

      Concession is a very significant milestone for both the future of the Port of Oakland and

      the competitiveness of our West Coast ports generally. I salute the Port of Oakland

      Board of Commissioners and our partner, Terminal Investments, for sharing their vision

      and faith in the future of the US ports business with Ports America and Highstar.”

      Ports America was advised on the Oakland Concession by Goldman Sachs and Cleary,

      Gottlieb, Steen and Hamilton.

      About Ports America

      Ports America, headquartered in Iselin, N.J., is the largest independent port terminal

      operator in North America, providing terminal management and a full suite of

      stevedoring and related services, including portside automotive processing services.

      Ports America, including its predecessor companies, has over 85 years experience

      operating American seaports. Our current business includes 50 ports and 97 terminals in

      North America, handling containers, roll on/roll off cargo, general cargo and cruise ship

      passengers and luggage.

      As one of the largest employers of maritime labor in North America, Ports America

      employs more than 12,000 people each day at its operations, including full-time

      equivalent employees.

      For further information on Ports America or if you wish to contact us, please visit our

      website: www.portsamerica.com or call Kathleen C. Bond at (443) 995-1941 or email at

      kathleen.bond@....

      About Highstar Capital

      Highstar Capital is the leader in value added infrastructure investing with a decade long

      successful track record of delivering on commitments to our key constituents, principally

      Highstar’s investors and our Portfolio Companies, including their management teams,

      employees, customers, lenders and regulators.

      Since the closing of our first infrastructure investment fund in 2000, Highstar Capital has

      led or co-led a number of significant, high value added, diversified infrastructure

      investments, including in power generation, water and waste water, natural gas

      transmission and storage, waste management, waste-to-energy, transportation logistics,

      inter modal and port concessions and operations.

      Highstar Capital currently manages over $4.5 billion of capital commitments from

      leading institutional investors globally, including through its third generation private

      equity fund, Highstar Capital III. The total enterprise value of all transactions invested to

      date on a lead or co-lead managed basis is approximately $15 billion.

      For further information on Highstar Capital or if you wish to contact us, please visit our

      website: www.highstarcapital.com or contact Vivian Tongalson, Director of Fund

      Communications, at 1-646-857-8806 or vivian.tongalson@....

      Contacts:

      Ports America

      Colby Haines, Colby Communications Corp: 562-900-6232

      Highstar Capital

      Greg Vistica, Washington Media Group: 212-215-8198

      ###

      More information at