Fw: Congress Completes FY 2010 Appropriations Bills

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 22, 2009
      Congress Completes FY 2010 Appropriations Bills
      Members and Friends,

      We welcome your engagement to be on our council's "NLUS Legislative Grass Roots" team whereby we make calls on Representatives and district office staff with our NLUS message. See the NLUS Congressional Contact Center, http://www.navyleague.org/legislative_affairs/index.php, for additional information.

      Thanks,

      Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 1:55 PM
      Subject: Fw: Congress Completes FY 2010 Appropriations Bills

      For those of you in contact with your US Congressional Representatives, below is some current news.

      This site, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SeaPower, on the subject earned a 1st Place Mackie Award along with the PCR-NLUS Online Newsletter, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCR-NLUS, at the NLUS 2009 National Convention. Something had to give this past year and maintaining it for 2009 was the sacrifical lamb. I will try to reestablish it in 2010; anyone care to be an additional moderator?

      SeaPower · Sea Power Ambassador

      MISSION: The Sea Power Ambassador program was an initiative of the American Shipbuilding Association and the Navy League of the United States to educate the American public and our nation's elected officials on the need to rebuild the fleet of the U.S. Navy and Coast Guard to meet America's security requirements in the 21st Century. On 19 October 2004, the Navy League severed its ties with this program (see post 268).

      CRISIS: America faces a national security crisis. The U.S. Navy fleet has dropped from 594 ships in 1987 to 280 ships today. This number represents the smallest Navy in our Nation's history since 1917. For 12 years, the nation has been ordering on average six new warships a year. This is the lowest rate of naval ship production since 1932, and if continued, our Navy will shrink to a fleet of 180 ships. While the Navy's fleet is on a dive course, the need for a larger and more capable fleet is more imperative now than at any other time in our history.

      RESOURCES: This site provides information about the maritime fleet, the shipbuilding industry, contractors, potential adversaries, and other items pertaining to the subject.

      INVITATION: Please join and use SeaPower as an aid to covey our message to our nation's citizens and government officials.

      SITE MODERATOR:
      Phelps Hobart
      President, Pacific Merchant Marine Council
      National Director
      Navy League of the United States
      PMMC at cwo dot com | (916) 739.6949

      I am currently having problems posting grapics in my Emails. I will get it resolved hopefully.

      Phelps
      Web Yeoman, PCR

      Sent: Monday, December 21, 2009 1:00 PM

      Can't see the pictures? Select "Always display images" or view this message in your browser.
      Click here to visit our website!

      Click here to send us an email!
      Contact us
      Office numbers and addresses

      Get Your Friends Involved
      Thank you for supporting the Sea Power Ambassador program. Please take a moment to tell your friends, family and colleagues about this effort.

      Was This Email Forwarded to You?
      After you register to be a Sea Power Ambassador we will keep you up to date by e-mail about program activities that will help spread the word on the importance of rebuilding America's fleet.

      December 21, 2009

      Congress Appropriates $12.5 Billion for Seven Naval Ships

      On December 16th, the House of Representatives passed the FY 2010 Department of Defense Appropriations Bill (HR 3326, as amended). The legislation was passed in the Senate on December 19th. Congress agreed to appropriate $12.5 billion for seven new naval ships. Funding provides for the procurement of one Virginia class submarine, one DDG-51 Arleigh Burke multi-mission destroyer, two T-AKE combat logistics force ships, two littoral combat vessels, and one joint high speed vessel. The bill further provides funding to complete the third DDG-1000 Zumwalt class multi-mission destroyer, and the tenth LPD-17 amphibious transport dock ship. Congress also added $170 million in advance procurement funding to the budget request for the LHA-7 amphibious assault ship. This advance funding will help to achieve a construction start in FY 2011.

      Funding Provided for Commercial Shipbuilding and Job Creation

      In an effort to stimulate job growth and invest in America’s Marine Highway, the Jobs for Main Street Act (HR 2847, as amended) provides $100 million for the Title XI Ship Loan Guarantee Program. The legislation passed the House of Representatives on December 16th. The Senate will not consider this legislation until 2010. Funding in the Jobs for Main Street Act is derived from a redirection of unused Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) savings. Congress appropriated a combined $35 million for new Title XI loan guarantees in the FY 2010 Transportation and Defense Appropriations bills ($5 million was appropriated in the Transportation Appropriations Bill and $30 million was included in the Department of Defense Appropriations Bill).

      The Title XI program, administered by the Maritime Administration (MARAD) of the Department of Transportation, provides small and medium sized ship owners with a federal guarantee of 87.5 percent of commercial bank loans for a period of 25 years for the construction of commercial ships in the United States. Title XI financing is used by U.S. ship owners to replace and expand their fleets of ships to meet the Nation’s energy transportation needs, domestic commerce requirements, and to serve as a military auxiliary fleet in times of emergency. With the tightening of the credit market and hesitancy of lenders to agree to large commercial loans, the federal guarantee provided through the Title XI program is essential to making financing for vessel construction available.

      The Title XI program has historically had a 20 to 1 multiplier, generating $20 million in ship construction in the United States for every $1 million appropriated for the program. Once an application for a Title XI loan guarantee is approved, the construction order is immediately placed in a shipyard, instantaneously creating and sustaining thousands of jobs in the shipyard and supplier base for two to three years.

      Virginia Members Urge Support for Shipbuilding Jobs

      Prior to adjournment of the House of Representatives for the year, Representatives Bobby Scott (D-VA), Glenn Nye (D-VA), and Rob Wittman (R-VA) sent a letter to the Speaker of the House urging Congress to stimulate job growth by building ships in the United States.

      Members of the Virginia delegation highlighted that America’s Navy and Coast Guard have unfunded ship requirements. Additionally, commercial ship owners need access to affordable financing to build ships for domestic commerce, and for energy exploration and development. These Members of Congress stress that making investment in America’s sea services a national priority will create and sustain hundreds of thousands of highly skilled jobs in all fifty states.

      SEASONS GREETINGS

      Thank you for your participation in the Sea Power Ambassador Program. Your support for rebuilding America’s sea services and for creating and sustaining shipbuilding jobs in America is appreciated. Have a wonderful holiday!

      Click here to forward this email to a friend

      Sea Power Ambassador

      600 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE
      Suite 305
      Washington, DC 20003