Re: Lou Burgelin, Vallejo Council President, RIP

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 15, 2009

      I can't help but believe Lou was instrumental in this. A gift to the Vallejo Veterans Memorial Building Council in his memory for those of us who knew him and are so inclined would seem appropriate.

      Shame on those who stole the bronz plaques and those who subsequently destroyed them.

      Phelps
      ____________ _________ _

      Thanks from the vets
      http://www.timesher aldonline. com/opinion/ ci_13950313

      Published By Times Herald

      On behalf of the veterans who participated in the Empress Theater "Honor the Veterans and Mare Island Workers" event and the Vallejo Veterans Memorial Building Council, we wish to thank all those persons who participated.

      From the Empress Theater-Four Rivers Productions Staff, Mayor Osby Davis, Commander-David Grant Medical Center, Sea Cadets Flag/Drill Team, Mr. Lenard East, and Vallejo Police, to presenters, performers and audience members, the event was meaningful and well constructed.

      Veterans and Mare Island Workers were properly and respectfully honored. And a step toward keeping Vallejo veterans names in the forefront of our community was attained by the donation from the attendees of the event of $597 toward restoration of Waterfront Vallejo Veterans Plaques commemorating the names of those Vallejo veterans who gave their lives during World War I, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm and Iraqi freedom. The funds are intended to restore the four bronze plaques listing the 285 soldiers, sailors and airman from Vallejo that were stolen from the Vallejo waterfront commemorative location in 2006 by vandals.

      The Vallejo Veterans Memorial Building Council has undertaken this project with the aid and assistance of ordinary citizens and veterans of the Vallejo community.

      Plaques listing the names of the 285 veterans will be replace using granite, engraved with the names of the individuals as they appeared on the original plaques; new names will be added for those Vallejo soldiers, sailors and airman lost during the current Iraq and Afghanistan conflict.

      Should citizens wish to donate to this worthy endeavor, the donation can be mailed to: VVMB, 420 Admiral Callaghan Lane, Vallejo, CA 94591-Veterans Plaque Fund.

      Gary W. Smith
      Secretary-Treasurer
      Vallejo Veterans Memorial Building Council