Re: USS San Francisco Port Visit committee

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2009
      Members and Friends,

      Chuck and myself welcome your participation on this committee.

      Please let us both know if you desire to be on board.

      Heave Ho!

      Sent: Sunday, December 06, 2009 12:06 PM
      Subject: USS San Francisco Port Visit committee

      Hi All,

      I wanted to drop you a note to ask if you would serve on a special committee for  the purposes of exploring the possibility of bringing the USS San Francisco SSN-711 for a Port visit to San Francisco, as a part of Fleetweek October 2010.

      I recently spent the day on-board the "Boat" underway with the Skipper CDR Nathan Martin USN  and CAPT Brett Genoble USN,Commander, Submarine Squadron 11 and we discussed the Idea of arranging  the visit. Both Officers were positive on the concept.

      We (S.F. Navy League) were looking at it last year, when the Boat was repositioning from Bremerton to San Diego,.. but the Navy had a 10% operating Budget cut which impacted "Port visits" fleet wide.

      As you know we do have a couple of issues,...
        1. Pier location, The S.F. Port feels pier 15/17 is the best
               ( This was just general conversations, nothing offical)
        2. Security
        3. Nuclear power plant  S. F. Political issues?????

      Please let me know if you would like to help! The first meeting would be planned for February 9,2010 at SCOMA's, for a working lunch.

      Best Regards,

      Chuck Shea, President
      San Francisco Council
      Navy League of the United States
      530-416-2083
    • Roger Bazeley
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 7, 2009

        Hi,

        I am interested, as I had a wonderful time at the luncheon where some of the USS San Francisco crew attended as well as the engaging CO. I would love to be on board literally.

        Roger Bazeley

        U.S. Navy League/PMMC

        U.S.C.G. Auxiliary Flotilla 17