Fw: CalVet News - Brautigan Appointed Secretary of CalVet

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2009
      Roger Brautigan is a life member of the Navy League and active within the Stockton Council. His predecessor Tom Johnson is a Navy Leaguer affiliated with the Sacramento Council. Sea Power magazine can be seen on table in the Secretary's reception area and elsewhere within the department including the frequently visited Veterans Service Division.

      Phelps Hobart
      Vice President, Membership and Veterans Affairs
      Pacifc Central Region, NLUS

      Sent: Monday, November 09, 2009 10:22 AM
      Subject: CalVet News - Brautigan Appointed Secretary of CalVet

      California Department of Veterans Affairs

      Veterans News

      Contact:  JP Tremblay

      Jerry Jones

      Jaime Arteaga

      Legislation and Public Affairs

      916-653-2192

      November 9, 2009

      Gov. Schwarzenegger Appoints Roger Brautigan Secretary of the California Department of Veterans Affairs

      Announces Appointment of Rocky Chavez as Undersecretary

      Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger today announced the appointment of Roger Brautigan as secretary for the California Department of Veterans Affairs (CDVA).

      Photo of Secretary Roger Brautigan
      Secretary Roger Brautigan

      "Roger is a respectedCalifornia veteran who served honorably in the U.S. Army for more than 33 years. He has shown outstanding leadership ability and has been a true public servant for our state while serving in my administration," said Governor Schwarzenegger. "I know he will work with the same integrity in the role of secretary that he proved while defending our nation's freedoms and will ensure the veterans in our state are provided with access to the absolute best services available."

      Brautigan has served at CDVA as acting secretary since May 2009 and has held the position of undersecretary since 2004. He served in the U.S. Army for more than 33 years, most recently as the deputy commanding general and chief of staff, I Corps and Fort Lewis from 1999 to 2002. Prior to that, Brautigan served in Germany from 1993 to 1999 and in the Pentagon from 1991 to 1993.

      Brautigan received the Army's Baldridge-based quality management award for three consecutive years while serving as commanding general during a peacekeeping assignment in Bosnia from 1994 to 1997.

      "I am proud to continue serving the administration and the veterans' community in this role," said Roger Brautigan. "I will work closely with the Governor to ensure California veterans are able to live in our state with the dignity and honor and access to services they deserve."

      Brautigan, 63, of Stockton , earned a Master of Arts degree in physical education from University of the Pacific and a Bachelor of Science degree in education from the University of Arizona . This position requires Senate confirmation and the compensation is $175,000. Brautigan is a Democrat.

      The Governor today also announced the appointment of Rocky Chavez as undersecretary for CDVA.

      Chavez, 58, of Oceanside , has served on the Oceanside City Council since 2002. He served in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1974 to 2001, most recently as assistant chief of staff for logistics, Camp Pendleton from 1999 to 2001 and previously as chief of staff, 4th Marine Division in 1998 and assistant chief of staff for logistics for 2nd Marine Division from 1996 to 1997. He currently serves on the North County Transit District Board of Directors. Chavez is a graduate of the Marine Corps Command and Staff College , Armed Forces Staff College and Air War College . This position does not require Senate confirmation and the compensation is $122,424. Chavez is a Republican.

      -30-

      Note to editors: This Veterans News and previous CDVA news releases, advisories, and newsletters are available on our website at www.cdva.ca.gov and via email from Jaime.Arteaga@....