Re: USCG Air Station Sacramento C-130 and USMC AH-1W Super Cobra helicopter collide Oct. 29

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2009
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Allen, Thad Admiral
      Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2009 03:47 PM Eastern Standard Time
      Subject: ALL HANDS - Crews of Coast Guard C-130 and Marine Corps Helicopter

      To the Men and Women of the United States Coast Guard:

      We are still in the midst of a massive search effort to locate the seven missing Guardians from CG-1705 and the two Marines from the AH-1 Cobra helicopter. Coast Guard and Navy assets, along with a Customs and Border Protection helicopter, are searching a 644 nautical mile area and have recovered debris from both aircraft but we have not located any survivors at this time. I remain hopeful and we will continue to search until all of our options are exhausted.

      After completing the next of kin notifications and consulting closely with our Marine Corps and Navy partners, we are releasing the names of the AIRSTA Sacramento based crew of the CG-1705:

      Lieutenant Commander Che J. Barnes; age 35
      Lieutenant Adam W. Bryant; age 28
      Chief Petty Officer John F. Seidman; age 43
      Petty Officer Second Class Carl P. Grigonis; age 35
      Petty Officer Second Class Monica L. Beacham; age 29
      Petty Officer Second Class Jason S. Moletzsky; age 26
      Petty Officer Third Class Danny R. Kreder II; age 22.

      The names of the missing Marines are Major Samuel Leigh, age 35, and First Lieutenant Thomas Claiborne, age 26.

      I am extremely proud of all the people involved in the search efforts – their dedication to finding their fellow shipmates is inspiring. We will continue to support AIRSTA Sacramento, the families of the missing crewmembers, and all the participating units with everything they need to continue the search.

      This event, like the CG-6505 helicopter accident last year, highlights the risks we accept every day to ensure the Nation's safety and security. As Guardians, we acknowledge the risk but that doesn't ease the emotional burden we feel after a tragedy. I know many people have been working extremely hard over the last several days so please watch each other's back.

      I will provide further updates as they become available. Keep these missing Guardians and Marines, along with their families, in your thoughts during this difficult time.

      Admiral Thad Allen
      Commandant, U.S. Coast Guard