Awards

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 20, 2009
      A number of awards will be presented at the upcoming NLUS National Convention in Corpus Christi.

      Membership recruitment awards will be presented to the League's top recruiters (those who brought aboard 20 or more new members). For the 3rd year running, yours truly will be recognized.

      Council membership retention awards for 2008 will also be presented. Less than a dozen councils will be recognized; at the top with 100% retention is the Pacific Merchant Marine Council. Thank you to all whose membership came up for renewal in 2008 and renewed their membership. If you are one of the few who has not renewed this year, please do; I will be happy to assist.

      The Navy League's newsletter and website awards are called Mackie Awards. Here is some excerpted information on them,

      Donald M. Mackie Awards

      The Donald M. Mackie Award was established in 1964 for the best Navy League newsletter to encourage more effective communications between Navy Leaguers. The award is named for Donald M. Mackie, who was instrumental in establishing "Navy - The Magazine of Sea Power," now known as SEAPOWER. A website category was added in 2007. Mackie Awards Instructions.

      The Donald M. Mackie Awards, which are given for the previous year's submissions, are presented annually at the NLUS National Convention to the winning councils based upon their respective size. An additional website subcategory for non-Councils was officially added in 2008.

      2008 Donald M. Mackie Newsletter Award Winner

      Pacific Merchant Marine - 2nd Place
      Pacific Merchant Marine Council Newsletter 2008

      2008 Donald M. Mackie Website Award Winners

      Non-Council
      Pacific Central Region* - 1st Place
      Sea Power Ambassador* - 1st Place
      Webmaster Phelps Hobart

      Small Council
      Pacific Merchant Marine* - 2nd Place
      (1st Place 2007)
      Webmaster Phelps Hobart

      Last, but not least, the Pacific Central Region and the Pacific Merchant Marine Council websites were recognized recently by Patriot Files, http://www.patriotfiles.com, to receive the Patriot Award. It is posted on the front page of each site.

      That's it. Don't mean to boast but a lot of time and effort went into getting the above recognition for our council and the region.

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 21, 2009
        From: Edward Dangler
        Date: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:54 pm
        Subject: Re: [PMMC-NLUS] Awards

        BRAVO ZULU President Phelps - great job in keeping our very new council up in the front of the pack.

        I look forward to participating with our great group when I return at end of January.

        Ed Dangler, Esq
        CAPT USN (ret)
        Proud member of Pacific Merchant Marine Council

        From: Roger Bazeley
        Date: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:59 am

        A BIG CONGRATULATIONS to you and all of the contributors. The News is very interesting, especially with the additional historic content, and current topics included. You continue to be the driving force in leading the PMMC.

        THANKS Phelps

        From: Sandra Chavez
        Date: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:07 pm

        Outstanding! Congratulations, Phelps! Way to go!

        Sandra Chavez
        Merchant Marine Affairs Chair
        Long Beach Navy League Council