Re: Last Call: Luncheon Invitation, September 21

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 20, 2009
      My wife Teddy and I purchased all the food and supplies for the luncheon. I think you will enjoy it. One subsitute, cookies instead of cake.

      We have something new this time (isn't there always something new?) - we are going to sing (the louder the better) the Merchant Marine Anthem, "Heave Ho! My Lads! Heave Ho!." First the chorus, then the verse and then conclude with the chorus again. We have the music on a CD and the words will be on a half-page handout.

      Take a look at

      http://santaclaraveteransmemorial.com/Military%20Pages/MerchantMarines/MERCHANT%20MARINES.htm

      What a fine monument and webpage! BRAVO ZULU Santa Clara Vets!

      Heave Ho! My Lads! Heave Ho!

      VERSE
      Give us the oil, give us the gas
      Give us the shells, give us the guns.
      We'll be the ones to see them thru.
      Give us the tanks, give us the planes.
      Give us the parts, give us a ship.
      Give us a hip hoo-ray!
      And we'll be on our way.

      CHORUS
      Heave Ho! My Lads, Heave Ho!
      It's a long, long way to go.
      It's a long, long pull with our hatches full,
      Braving the wind, braving the sea,
      Fighting the treacherous foe;
      Heave Ho! My lads, Heave Ho!
      Let the sea roll high or low,
      We can cross any ocean, sail any river.
      Give us the goods and we'll deliver,
      Damn the submarine!
      We're the men of the Merchant Marine!

      We will have enough food if you should show up with a guest or two we didn't know about or you didn't make a reservation. $22. Guests free if they should join our council.

      Board meeting to follow the luncheon. It will be short.

      Anchors Aweigh or should I say Heave Ho?

      Phelps

      PS If anyone cares to be my Facebook friend, you will find me at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000201093578&ref=name and also the Navy League Pacific Central Region has a page, http://www.facebook.com/pages/Navy-League-Pacific-Central-Region/120296346877?ref=mf. We welcome fans. I think I will create a page for our council.