Last Call: Luncheon Invitation, September 21
- Dear Members and Friends,We still accept reservations!A frightful amount of coordination and effort went into this luncheon meeting but we remain nowhere near seating capacity. This is among other things a fund raiser for the upkeep and maintenance of the S. S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN.For your friends and associates who join the Navy League and our council, lunch is complementary.If something is wrong - we should plot a different luncheon course, let me know. It will be discussed at our council board meeting following the conclusion of the luncheon.Please let me know if you have suggestions on moving this council forward with membership growth, luncheon attendance, mission program or whatever else you care to share. I am a bit did-heartened at the moment.We are seeking new officers and directors for 2010 and nominations open at the luncheon. Please consider serving.Thanks,PhelpsPhelps Hobart, PresidentPacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS________________________________
Pacific Merchant Marine Council
Navy League of the United States
You and Your Guests
Are Cordially Invited
To Our 3rd Quarter Luncheon
Date: Monday, 21 September 2009
Time: Social 1130 ~ Lunch 1200
Place: National Historic Ship Memorial S. S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN, Pier 45, San Francisco
Program: Panel Presentation, Maritime Administration (MARAD) and Navys Military Sealift Command (MSC) Vessels and Activities in San Francisco Bay Area
Cost: $20 with advance reservation ~ $22 without
- Guests welcome. Complementary lunch for guests who should join the Navy League and affiliate with the council.
- Menu features salads, sandwiches, chips, cake, and coffee.
- Bar open. Donations of beverages and cash for drinks appreciated.
- Popular fund-raising Opportunity To Win (50 - 50 raffle) to aid councils contribution supporting the National Liberty Ship Memorial S. S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN.
- Complementary parking in covered shed C adjacent to the ship.
- Time to share news, a sea story, a joke, or a remark.
- Nominations open for election of 2010 officers and directors.
- Council open board meeting to follow luncheon.
- Temperature possibly cool; dress accordingly.
- Docent lead ship tours before and after the luncheon.
Membership Website: http://www.navyleague.org/membership
Region Website: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PCR-NLUS
Council Website: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PMMC-NLUS
Anchors Aweigh,Phelps HobartPresidentPacific Merchant Marine CouncilNavy League of the United Stateshttp://groups.yahoo.com/group/PMMC-NLUS < 1st place NLUS award winning websitePO Box 191403Sacramento CA 95819-1403(916) 739-6949 | (916) 955-3972 Cell | PMMC@...The Navy League of the United States, founded with President Roosevelt's encouragement in 1902, is a civilian organization with approximately 60,000 members. The League is focused on reminding the American public and government officials that the United States is a maritime nation and that its national defense and economic well being are dependent upon strong sea services - the Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and U. S. flag Merchant Marine. NLUS and its 270 councils sponsor activities, events, and awards along with supporting military and Sea Cadet units. Its monthly magazine Sea Power covers United States maritime defense news. The council newsletter is Captain's Call.The Pacific Merchant Marine Council, chartered 11 December 2006, is specifically focused on the United States maritime industry. Luncheon meetings are quarterly. June 15 we visited Quinn's Lighthouse Restaurant and Pub, Oakland, for a delicious luncheon and excellent panel presentation on Short Sea Shipping out of Oakland. September 21 we return aboard the National Liberty Ship Memorial S. S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN, Pier 45 San Francisco, with a presentation on the Maritime Administration / Military Sealift Command vessels transiting San Francisco Bay.
- Monday, 1130 Sept 21, PMMC Luncheon, S.S. JEREMIAH OBRIEN $20
- Monday, 1330 Sept 21, PMMC Board Meeting, S.S. JEREMIAH OBRIEN
- Thursday, 1730 Sept 24, Fleet Week Fundraiser, Hornblower, SF Pier 3 $200
- Oct 9 - 13 San Francisco Fleet Week - Ships, Air Show, Shore Activities
- Saturday & Sunday, Oct 10 &11, S.S. JEREMIAH OBRIEN Bay Cruises $150
- Tuesday, 1130 Oct 13, San Francisco Council Luncheon, Scomas Fishermans Wharf $35
- Monday, 1130 Dec 7, Ancient Mariners Pearl Harbor Remembered Oyster Point Yacht Club
- Monday, 1130 Dec 21, PMMC Luncheon, S.S. JEREMIAH OBRIEN VAdm Jody Breckenridge, USCG Pacific Commander, guest of honor and speaker. Election and Installation of 2010 officers and directors. $20
- Monday, 1330 Dec 21, PMMC Board Meeting, S.S. JEREMIAH OBRIEN
- My wife Teddy and I purchased all the food and supplies for the luncheon. I think you will enjoy it. One subsitute, cookies instead of cake.
We have something new this time (isn't there always something new?) - we are going to sing (the louder the better) the Merchant Marine Anthem, "Heave Ho! My Lads! Heave Ho!." First the chorus, then the verse and then conclude with the chorus again. We have the music on a CD and the words will be on a half-page handout.
Take a look at
What a fine monument and webpage! BRAVO ZULU Santa Clara Vets!
Heave Ho! My Lads! Heave Ho!
Give us the oil, give us the gas
Give us the shells, give us the guns.
We'll be the ones to see them thru.
Give us the tanks, give us the planes.
Give us the parts, give us a ship.
Give us a hip hoo-ray!
And we'll be on our way.
Heave Ho! My Lads, Heave Ho!
It's a long, long way to go.
It's a long, long pull with our hatches full,
Braving the wind, braving the sea,
Fighting the treacherous foe;
Heave Ho! My lads, Heave Ho!
Let the sea roll high or low,
We can cross any ocean, sail any river.
Give us the goods and we'll deliver,
Damn the submarine!
We're the men of the Merchant Marine!
We will have enough food if you should show up with a guest or two we didn't know about or you didn't make a reservation. $22. Guests free if they should join our council.
Board meeting to follow the luncheon. It will be short.
Anchors Aweigh or should I say Heave Ho?
PS If anyone cares to be my Facebook friend, you will find me at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000201093578&ref=name and also the Navy League Pacific Central Region has a page, http://www.facebook.com/pages/Navy-League-Pacific-Central-Region/120296346877?ref=mf. We welcome fans. I think I will create a page for our council.