RE: [PMMC-NLUS] Pacific Merchant Marine Council Luncheon 21 September

  • Tim.Cogan@dot.gov
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 15, 2009

      Hi Phelps:

      I regret to have to inform you that the M/V CAPE HUDSON was just activated this morning and I was ordered to attend its Sea Trial which commences on Friday. Therefore, I must cancel being at the luncheon as speaker. However, Linda Harmon and Kurt Birkhahn will still be there to present.

      I apologize for this and the inconveniences it may cause.

      Tim

      Date: Monday, 21 September 2009

      Time: Social 1130 ~ Lunch 1200

      Place: S. S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN, Pier 45, San Francisco

      Program: Panel Presentation, Maritime Administration (MARAD) and Navy’s Military Sealift Command (MSC) Vessels and Activities in San Francisco Bay Area

      Cost: $20 with advance reservation ~ $22 without

      Details:

      • Reservations desired; by check please payable to Phelps Hobart, PO Box 191403 , Sacramento CA 95819-1403 .                 (916) 739-6949
      • Guests welcome. Complementary lunch for guests who should join the Navy League and affiliate with the council.
      • Menu features salads, sandwiches, chips, cake, and coffee.
      • Bar open. Donations of beverages and cash for drinks appreciated.
      • Popular fund-raising “Opportunity To Win” (50 - 50 raffle) to aid council’s contribution supporting the National Liberty Ship Memorial S. S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN.
      • Complementary parking in covered shed C adjacent to the ship.
      • Time to share with news, a sea story, a joke, or a remark.
      • Nominations open for election of 2010 officers and directors.
      • Council open board meeting to follow luncheon.
      • Temperature possibly cool; dress accordingly.
      • Docent lead ship tours before and after the luncheon.

      ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ___

      National Website: http://www.NavyLeag ue.org

      Region Website: http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/PCR- NLUS

      Council Website: http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/PMMC- NLUS

      Dates Ahead:

      • Sunday, 1115 Sept 13, Sea Cadets Battalion Pass In Review, Camp Parks
      • Monday, 1130 Sept 21, PMMC Luncheon, S.S. JEREMIAH O’BRIEN $20
      • Monday, 1330 Sept 21, PMMC Board Meeting, S.S. JEREMIAH O’BRIEN
      • Thursday, 1730 Sept 24, Fleet Week Fundraiser, Hornblower, SF Pier 3 $200
      • Oct 9 - 13 San Francisco Fleet Week - Ships, Air Show, Shore Activities
      • Saturday & Sunday, Oct 10 &11, S.S. JEREMIAH O’BRIEN Bay Cruises $150
      • Tuesday, 1130 Oct 13, San Francisco Council Luncheon, Scoma’s Fisherman’s Wharf $35
      • Monday, 1130 Dec 7, Ancient Mariners Pearl Harbor Remembered Oyster Point Yacht Club
      • Monday, 1130 Dec 21, PMMC Luncheon, S.S. JEREMIAH O’BRIEN VAdm Jody Breckenridge, USCG Pacific Commander, invited guest of honor Election and Installation of 2010 officers and directors. $20
      • Monday, 1330 Dec 21, PMMC Board Meeting, S.S. JEREMIAH O’BRIEN

      Anchors Aweigh,

      Phelps Hobart

      President

      Pacific Merchant Marine Council

      Navy League of the United States

      http://navyleague. org

      http://www.navyleag ue.org/membershi p/index.php.

      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/PMMC- NLUS < 1st place NLUS award winning website

      PO Box 191403

      Sacramento CA 95819-1403

      (916) 739-6949 | (916) 955-3972 Cell | PMMC@...

      The Navy League of the United States , founded with President Roosevelt's encouragement in 1902, is a civilian organization with approximately 60,000 members. The League is focused on reminding the American public and government officials that the United States is a maritime nation and that its national defense and economic well being are dependent upon strong sea services - the Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and U. S. flag Merchant Marine. NLUS and its 270 councils sponsor activities, events, and awards along with supporting military and Sea Cadet units. Its monthly magazine Sea Power covers United States  maritime defense news. The council newsletter is Captain's Call.

      The Pacific Merchant Marine Council, chartered 11 December 2006, is specifically focused on the United States maritime industry. Luncheon meetings are quarterly. June 15 we visited Quinn's Lighthouse Restaurant and Pub, Oakland, for a delicious luncheon and excellent panel presentation on Short Sea Shipping out of Oakland. September 21 we return aboard the National Liberty Ship Memorial S. S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN, Pier 45 San Francisco, with a presentation on the Maritime Administration  /  Military Sealift Command vessels transiting San Francisco Bay.