SEAPOWER NLUS 2009 Digital Edition P. 66 Pacific Merchant Marine Council to support Sea Cadet Unit

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24, 2009
      Members and Friends,

      Another fine issue of SEAPOWER has hit the Internet. In a few more days it will be in your mailbox.

      Of special note is mention of our council and its intended support for the Arkansas Division Sea Cadets on pages 66 and 67..

      The Division's Commanding Officer, Captain Tim Cogan, has accepted our invitation to be our guest speaker at our Monday, September 21 luncheon onboard the S.S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN. His topic will focus on the Military Sealift Command vessels plying San Francisco Bay. When he is not working for the Maritime Administration as a Marine Engineering Inspector he has likely taken command of one of the MSC ships berthed near the U.S.S. HORNET in Alameda. He will also give us his perspective on his Sea Cadets unit. It is a luncheon you don't want to miss; start inviting friends now. $20 pp or free with a new Navy League membership, http://www.navyleague.org/membership/individual_membership.php , and affiliation with our council. We will be extending the offer to existing Navy League members who choose to affiliate with our council.

      Keep in touch,

      Pacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS

      Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 10:03 AM
      Subject: SEAPOWER NLUS 2009 Digital Edition

       The August 2009 Issue of SEAPOWER

      NOW AVAILABLE AS A DIGITAL EDITION

      Seapower Magazine

      P. 3 President’s Message. Reverse the Trend.

      P. 61 Branch named president-elect; Phillips Accepts Burke Award at Board meeting.

      P. 64 Atlanta Metropolitan Council presents Annual Youth Awards.

      P. 65 NJROTC programs honored after national competitions.

      P. 65 Navy League presents awards to service academy graduates.

      P. 66 Massachusetts Bay Council hosts Sea Cadet leaders.

      P. 66 Pacific Merchant Marine Council to support Sea Cadet Unit.

      P. 67 NSCC Unit launches in Colorado Springs .

      P. 67 St. Augustine co-hosts international reception aboard USS John L. Hall.

      P. 68 Sen. Feinstein given ship’s plank as honorary chair of Bertholf Commissioning Committee.

      P. 69 Hampton Roads Council participates in Joint Warfighting Conference.

      P. 12 Afghanistan Reset. Army Materiel Command sees unprecedented cooperation among services in shift from Iraq .

      P. 16 Interview. Maersk Alabama’s Capt. Richard Phillips reflects on career, discusses plan for improved security on the high seas.

      P. 22 Deepwater Progress. With new processes in place, Coast Guard program delivers assets.

      P. 26 Return to the Arctic . Longer-range helicopters, lighter boats take part in summer mission.

      P. 28 Critical Gaps. Agencies struggle to coordinate nuclear-detection architecture.

      P. 32 Jayhawk Facelift. Upgrades expand capabilities of Coast Guard’s H-60 helicopter.

      P. 36 The Overseer. With Coast Guard now in control, vice commandant sees service marching smartly forward on Deepwater.

      P. 39 The Director. New Coast Guard acquisition chief sharpens focus on Deepwater priorities.

      P. 44 Super Ferry. JHSV leverages proven technology to low-risk development.

      P. 48 Expansion Plans. Marine Corps wants more land for combat training at Twentynine Palms.

      P. 6 Washington Report
      * How Navy Will Buy Super Hornets Is a Sticking Point for Lawmakers.
      * GAO: Alternatives Analysis for V-22.
      * Second State-Class Ship Delivered by NASSCO.

      P. 7 Intercepts
      “Cyber security may have more attention and it may be in a higher priority status, but I’m not certain that it is getting due consideration in spite of the fact that we are at war.”
      Richard Etter
      Senior information assurance officer for the Navy
      On the road ahead for military cyber security.