PMMC, NLUS, Certificate of Adoption & Support, S. S. Jeremiah O'Brien

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2007
      Monday, 9 July 2007, was a historic council day!

      The Pacific Merchant Marine Council adopted our favorite Liberty Ship! At a well attended luncheon the two Merchant Marine captains, our president Kerry O'Brien and the ship's Patrick Moloney signed the document, said a few words, and posed for some photographs.  All very special and less than 7 months since the council received its NLUS charter.

      The certificate, now framed, hangs adjacent to our framed charter in Hold # 2. The accompanying PMMC-NLUS plaque hangs in the officers' wardroom.

      Fine, well-attended luncheon to boot. Good food including ice cream and cake for the occasion!

      Before it was all over, the council gained two new members, Elizabeth (Liz) Anderson, the ship's shoreside office manager, and Jim Wade, the ship's assistant purser and chaplain. Liz, bless her, joined as a life member. Frank Medeiros renewed his membership for another 3 years - well before it was to expire. A number of guests, indicating their checkbook was at home, took membership applications with them.

      If you would like a roster please contact me and I will have one for you at our next council luncheon, Monday, September 10th.

      More activities ahead as the council steams forward.

      Fair winds and following seas,

      Senior Vice President
      Pacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS

      Certificate of Adoption & Support

      Whereas the Navy League of the United States for over one hundred years has expressed its patriotism, commitment, strength of spirit, and support for the Sea Services, and

      Whereas one of the most important objectives of the Navy League is to improve the understanding of and appreciation for those who have served and are serving in America’s forces, and

      Whereas to further these objectives, ships, squadrons, and stations are “adopted” by Navy League councils, and

      Whereas the National Liberty Ship Memorial S.S. Jeremiah O’Brien is a most outstanding testimony and tribute to the roll liberty ships and their crews performed in winning World War II, be it resolved:

      The Pacific Merchant Marine Council of the Navy League of the United States in recognition of their exemplary accomplishments, hereby adopts and commits to support the National Liberty Ship Memorial S.S. Jeremiah O’Brien.

      Kerry C. O’Brien (signed)

      Kerry C. O’Brien, President                                                                               NLUS Seal

      Acknowledged and accepted with gratitude.

      Patrick A. Moloney (signed for)

      Carl Nolte, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer

      National Liberty Ship Memorial S.S. Jeremiah O’Brien