Pacific Merchant Marine Council finds a Sea Cadet Division to support!

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2009
      Dear Members and Friends,

      I mentioned in a previous message that there would be breaking news at our June 15 luncheon meeting. Here it is.

      For some time we, as a council, have been interesting in finding and supporting a Sea Cadet division with a merchant marine orientation. Well, we found one! Ironically it is the only unit home-ported in San Francisco.  Other divisions are scattered about the Bay Area, most supported by a nearby Navy League Council. This one was not; its sponsor and primary supporter is the Royal Canadian Legion, Canada's largest veteran and community service organization, www.legion.ca.

      Since activities associated with the Admiral Patterson memorial service aboard the S.S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN May 22, the memorial cruise May 23, and the USS SAN FRANCISCO memorial service May 24, we became aware of the U. S. Naval Sea Cadet Corps Arkansas Division. The unit performed color guard duty each occasion. Two of the Cadets have earned sufficient USCG documentation to serve aboard merchant ships and are seeking summer employment afloat. Another is headed to the USCG Academy this summer.

      Captain Timothy Cogan, USNR, is the division's commanding officer. He is a marine engineering inspector within MARAD's San Francisco Office. The Executive Officer is Ensign Matthew Truesdell, NSCC, and the Operations Officer is Warrant Officer Guilherme Freitas, USCG (Ret.). Gil works for Ports America making sure all the cranes remain in top condition. Gil's wife Karen is an Instructor and their two daughters are cadets.  You can learn more about the division at http://www.arkansasdivision.org; particularly note the plan of month and training opportunities.

      Karen, the Cadets in starched white jumper uniforms, and Instructor Alexey Sobolev were guests at our June 15 Oakland luncheon. Each gave their perspective on the Sea Cadets and the Arkansas Division (read about the four Navy ships USS Arkansas, including BB-33 and CGN-41 at http://us.yhs.search.yahoo.com/avg/search?fr=yhs-avgb&p=USS%20Arkansas). I announced the council officers and directors had approved establishing an ongoing relationship with the Arkansas Division once its leadership and the Royal Canadian Legion approved. That approval is in process but to demonstrate our intentions, we would initially support the Division with the net proceeds of the drawing, a NLUS Youth Medal, a NLUS membership, and a NLUS challenge coin. Co-sponsorship with the Royal Canadian Legion is hopefully in the future.

      The 50-50 drawing was very successful what with the Cadets going table to table selling tickets! Our Chaplain Fr. James Wade, was the lucky winner, the Cadets and Jim split the $230 pot. He indicated the O'BRIEN will be the recipient of his share and for sure we don't have any problem with that. We added some funds from the treasury, and rounded up the Cadet's share of the cash to $200. Also added two watches and Navy League pens.

      I might mention that council member Stan Ellexon has served for years as Vice President of the Naval Sea Cadets Corps. Council Director Robert Dickinson, has been active for years with the Sea Cadets Pyro Division and as an instructor within the NSCC training program. Last year, council members, Navy League and Naval Order friends raised $560 in the NSCC Region Drawing. In October we will again be asking for your individual support of this important fundraiser. We, as a council, will return our $280 rebate of ticket sales for the purchase of 2009 tickets. The Sea Cadet program has expenses and we are glad to assist within the region and now within the Arkansas Division.

      Please contact me if you should be interested in volunteering or financially supporting the Sea Cadets above and beyond the 2009 drawing. I have the recently published Naval Sea Cadets Corps 2008 Annual Report and it is most informative. I'll see that you get a copy; it does not seem to be available online.

      Anticipate more on this new council initiative as things evolve. The Arkansas Division Sea Cadets have a standing invitation to all our council events and our members will be notified of Division activities to which we are invited.

      Anchors Aweigh,

      Pacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS

                                       Veteran's Day Parade in San Francisco, 2005
                                                                                          Veterans Day Parade, San Francisco

      Arkansas Division

      San Francisco

      _________________________________

      U.S. Naval Sea Cadet Corps

      Year-round Naval youth education program in which young men and women ages 11 to 18 learn new skills and earn confidence while having fun aboard ships and air ...

      Since 1958 the Naval Sea Cadet Corps has been committed to providing American youth with a drug and alcohol free environment to foster their leadership abilities, broaden their horizons through hands-on training and guide them to becoming mature young adults.

      Sea Cadet organizations exist in most of the maritime nations of the world. Recognizing the value of these organizations in educating youth in maritime matters, the Department of the Navy requested the Navy League of the United States to establish a similar program for American youth. The Navy League agreed to do so and formally established the Naval Sea Cadet Corps (NSCC) and Navy League Cadet Corps (NLCC) in 1958. Recognizing the importance and benefits of the NSCC, Congress on September 10, 1962 federally incorporated the Naval Sea Cadet Corps under Public Law 87-655 (36 USC 1541).

      What is Sea Cadets

      The Naval Sea Cadet Corps (NSCC) is for American youth ages 13-17 who have a desire to learn about the Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and Merchant Marine. Sea Cadets are authorized by the Secretary of the Navy to wear Navy uniforms appropriately marked with the Sea Cadet Corps insignia. The objectives of the Sea Cadet program are to introduce youth to naval life, to develop in them a sense of pride, patriotism, courage, and self-reliance, and to maintain an environment free of drugs and gangs.

      Sea Cadet Units

      Cadets meet or "drill" at their local unit weekly or monthly through out the year. A unit is structured along military lines and is headed by a Commanding Officer. Units may drill on military bases, at reserve centers, local schools, or community centers.

      Sea Cadet units are organized as either divisions, squadrons, or battalions. Divisions closely reflect the surface Navy, while squadrons are geared toward the field of naval aviation, and battalions meanwhile reflect Navy construction battalions (SeaBees).

      Whether a division, squadron, or battalion, the local unit has one main purpose, and that is to foster team work, camaraderie and an understanding of the military command structure.

      Cadets are instructed by both Sea Cadet Officers and senior cadets through classroom and applied instruction in subjects such as basic seamanship, military drill, and leadership. And most Sea Cadet regions throughout the country hold weekend competitions where units compete with each other to test their seamanship and military skills.

      Local units will often participate in community events such as parades and fairs. They may also tour Navy and Coast Guard ships and shore stations. And participate in community service such as working in Veterans' Hospitals and organizing clothing and food drives.

      Training & Advancement

      Sea Cadet training consists of Navy Non-Resident Training Courses (NRTC), training evolutions (away from local units), shipboard training, and training arranged locally by units.

      All new cadets enter the program at the rate of Seaman Recruit. In order for cadets to move up through the ranks they must complete the following: the NRTC Correspondence Course for that rate, one training evolution, and depending on the rate, the Navy's Military Leadership exam for that rate. NRTC's cover basic military and naval subjects such as naval history, seamanship, leadership, and ship/aircraft familiarization. The cadet rate structure parallels that of the Navy and Coast Guard's enlisted rate structure, with Chief Petty Officer being the highest rate a cadet can achieve.

      Training takes place mostly during summer months and occasionally during winter and spring break periods and are generally one to two week evolutions. The first training evolution for all cadets is NSCC Recruit Training, better known as boot camp. It is a scaled down version of the Navy's boot camp. For approximately two-weeks cadets are instructed by active and reserve military personnel and Sea Cadet officers in military drill and discipline, physical fitness, seamanship, shipboard safety, first aid, naval history, and leadership.

      After cadets have successfully completed boot camp, they can then participate in advanced training. Sea Cadet advanced training currently consists of the following:

      • TRAINING SCHOOLS
        • AIRMAN TRAINING (BASIC & ADVANCED)
        • AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL TRAINING
        • FAA GROUND SCHOOL
        • CULINARY ARTS TRAINING
        • MEDICAL TRAINING (GENERAL, FIELD, SURGICAL & DENTAL TECH)
        • FIREFIGHTING TRAINING
        • PHOTO JOURNALISM TRAINING
        • CEREMONIAL GUARD
        • SUBMARINE SEMINAR
        • MARKSMANSHIP TRAINING
        • CONSTRUCTION BATTALION (SEABEE) TRAINING (BASIC & ADVANCED)
        • MINE WAREFARE OPERATIONS TRAINING
        • MUSIC SCHOOL
        • SEAL TEAM TRAINING
        • EXPLOSIVE ORDNANCE DISPOSAL TRAINING
        • AMPHIBIOUS TRAINING
        • PETTY OFFICER LEADERSHIP ACADEMY
        • MASTER-AT-ARMS TRAINING (MILITARY POLICE/LAW)
        • JUDGE ADVOCATED GENERAL (JAG) TRAINING
        • SAILING SCHOOL
        • SCUBA SCHOOL
        • SEAMANSHIP TRAINING
        • SHIPBOARD TRAINING
      • LIVE ABOARD NAVY & COAST GUARD SHIPS & SHORE STATIONS FOR TWO-WEEKS.

      Sea Cadet training is held throughout the continental United States, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Guam on military installations.

      In addition to the above, those cadets who exhibit extraordinary initiative and leadership ability may participate in annual exchanges with Sea Cadet Corps' around the world.

      • FOREIGN EXCHANGE PARTNERS
        • AUSTRALIA
        • BELGIUM
        • BERMUDA
        • CANADA
        • HONG KONG
        • JAPAN
        • NETHERLANDS
        • RUSSIA
        • SOUTH KOREA
        • UNITED KINGDOM

      Cadets get to meet their foreign counterparts, experience new cultures, and get to see how the navies of the world operate.

      Benefits

      Depending on the rate achieved in the Naval Sea Cadets, former cadets may be eligible to enlist in the armed forces at an advanced pay grade. Being a member honorably discharged from the Corps is looked upon favorably by selection boards for military academies and ROTC programs. Also those cadets who are accepted to a four-year university may be eligible for scholarships.

      The Naval Sea Cadet Corps provides its cadets the opportunity to develop their leadership skills, build their character and become productive citizens.

      To view testimonials from former cadets please go to the Endorsements page.

      Membership Requirements

      In order to join the Naval Sea Cadet Corps applicants must meet the following criteria:

      • Be between the ages of 13 and 17.
      • Must be a US Citizen
      • Be in good health and pass a qualifying physical examination.
      • Be a full time student and maintain satisfactory grades (2.00 "C" grade point average).
      • Be free of felony convictions.