Re: Fw: NEW Maritime Admin, Northern CA and Mid Pacific Gateway Director to speak at World Trade Center State of the Sea Ports Event

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 14, 2009

      Those attending our luncheon June 15, will have an opportunity to meet and welcome Mr. Hummer. He is the guest of Council Director Michael Nerney.

      There will be good council news - a major new initiative - announced at the luncheon. The officers and directors are enthused about it. This is in addition to two new directors who will be installed. Reservations appreciated if you are not among the 30+ members and guests who have called or E-mailed already.

      Also Council Vice President Don Hale and Judge Advocate Ed Dangler, having just returned from the NLUS National Board of Directors Meeting in Arlington Virginia, will brief us on heaquarters activities and Merchant Marine Committee news. The latest edition of the NLUS Maritime Policy will be available to those desiring a copy.

      Here is a media release from the Department of Transportation.

      Anchors Aweigh,

      United States Department of Transportation
      Office of Public Affairs
      http://www.dot.gov/affairs/marad0309.htm

      MARAD 03-09
      Contact: Susan Clark, Tel.: (202) 366-5807
      Monday, March 23, 2009

      Hummer Appointed to Head Maritime Administration's Northern California Gateway Office

      WASHINGTON—The U.S. Department of Transportation's Maritime Administration has named John Hummer to head its new Northern California Gateway Office in San Francisco. Prior to this appointment, Mr. Hummer served as the State of California's deputy secretary for goods movement in the Business, Transportation, and Housing Agency.

      The Maritime Administration has established nine gateway offices at the Nation's largest ports to ensure locally-based teams of intermodal maritime transportation experts work with headquarters staff, State and local authorities, and a broad range of port, shipper, and carrier stakeholders on projects. Nationwide, each of the gateway offices develop local initiatives to address transportation congestion relief, improve freight and passenger movement, and promote "green" transportation alternatives. The Northern California Gateway Office's area of responsibility encompasses part of Northern California, Utah, Nevada, Hawaii and Guam.

      Mr. Hummer's career spans more than 32 years in transportation operations and development. His background includes direct operations for a major carrier, port experience, innovative freight planning experience in one of the nation's largest Metropolitan Planning Organizations, broad experience in multi-jurisdictional political environments, and a proven record of government innovation, infrastructure expansion, and freight movement.

      He holds a Master's degree in public administration and a minor in transportation and infrastructure planning from Columbia University in New York.

      # # #

      --- In PMMC-NLUS@yahoogroups.com, "Pacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS" <pmmc@...> wrote:

      Ahoy,

      This should be interesting. I look forward to meeting Mr. Hummer.

      We won't be covering the state of the ports at our Pacific Merchant Marine Council luncheon June 15 at Quinn's, Oakland, but moving goods around by water highways - short sea shipping - out of Oakland will be our panel's focus...