Council Charter & O'BRIEN Adoption

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2009
      Ahoy shipmates,

      The council charter and SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN Adoption Certificate are on display aboard 'tween decks, hold # 2.

      Anchors Aweigh,

      Phelps Hobart, President
      Pacific Merchant Marine Council
      Navy League of the United States
      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/PMMC- NLUS < 1st place NLUS award winning website
      PO Box 191403
      Sacramento CA 95819-1403
      (916) 739-6949 | (916) 955-3972 Cell | PMMC@...

      The Navy League of the United States, founded with President Roosevelt's encouragement in 1902, is a civilian organization with approximately 60,000 members. The League is focused on reminding the American public and government officials that the United States is a maritime nation and that its national defense and economic well being are dependent upon strong sea services - the Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and U. S. Flag Merchant Marine. NLUS and its 270 councils sponsor activities, events, and awards along with supporting military and Sea Cadet units. Its monthly magazine Sea Power covers United States maritime defense news. Captain's Call is the council's newsletter.

      The Pacific Merchant Marine Council, chartered 11 December 2006, is specifically focused on supporting the United States maritime industry. In 2008 membership growth continued and retention was 100%. Luncheon meetings are quarterly. Monday, June 15 we return to Quinns Lighthouse Restaurant and Pub, Oakland, for a delicious lunch and a panel presentation on Short Sea Shipping on Marine Highways out of Oakland.

      John A. Panneton, National President, Navy League of the United States

      Remarks at Pacific Merchant Marine Council Chartering Ceremony, 11 December 2006

      It is great honor for me to be here in the Bay Area at Fisherman’s Wharf and to stand aboard Jeremiah O'Brien, the last of a great line of Merchant Marine Liberty Ships.

      We are here to charter the Navy League’s newest council - the Pacific Merchant Marine Council. The Navy League is all about dedicated citizens increasing public awareness of this Nation’s maritime heritage and providing support and assistance to the men and women of our Sea Services.

      As we charter this new council - our 270th - we welcome its 44 members in the same spirit of Americanism that Theodore Roosevelt envisioned 104 years ago when he helped the Navy League survive and flourish. Our mission remains relevant today as it was in 1902 and as relevant as it was when this great Liberty ship sailed the globe carrying combat supplies and materials to Allied fighting forces during World War II.

      And a big part that mission is to remind our neighbors and our government leaders that the economic well-being and national security of this great Nation depends on strong sea services. I know that it is no easy task to form a council and certainly not easy keep one operating effectively.. It takes the sweat and dedication of a team of dedicated citizens – all volunteers – all patriots.
      I‘d like to thank some key people who through their diligence and steadfast support have really made this day possible:
      • Vice Admiral Al Herberger, our National Corporate Secretary and Chairman of the Merchant Marine Committee
      • Admiral Thomas Patterson, USMS (Ret.)
      • Rear Admiral Frank X. Johnston, USMS
      • Don Hale, President, Pacific Central Region
      • Captain Kerry O’Brien USMM (Ret.)
      • Captain Michelle Lockwood, Area President, active member of the Merchant Marine Committee, and now a key player on our Maritime Policy Committee.
      And of course, I’d like to recognize and thank the new members of the council for their dedication and willingness to take this important role of citizen support to our sea services.

      So now that you’ve signed up, let me tell you a little about what is in store for you. This council has been created to focus on one of the most challenging mission areas of the Navy League: increasing public awareness, understanding, and support for our merchant marine force and the maritime industry in general.

      The United States is the world’s largest maritime trading economy. Whether it’s transporting commercial or military cargo, by land or sea, our economy and the defense of our nation is dependent upon ensuring an efficient, safe and secure domestic and international marine transportation system. Every citizen is affected by this structure; yet sadly the critical importance of addressing the key challenges facing our maritime industry and infrastructure are completely LOST on most Americans.

      I’m even more saddened to report that even your colleagues in the Navy League who embrace the Merchant Marine and maritime industry as part of our mission frequently are only moderately familiar with the complex challenges we face in this area. We had the new Maritime Administrator, Mr. Sean Connaughton as our speaker last month at our Winter Meeting in Washington. I think this it the first time we’ve had the Administrator as a speaker in recent memory! Our decision to invite him reflects both the Navy League’s commitment to providing support to the Merchant Marine and our awareness that we have a lot of work to do within our own organization, "inside the lifelines" as they say in the Navy.

      Administrator Connaughton was very frank in his comments about the challenges we face. Connaughton made it clear that the Nation has too long ignored or underfunded critical components of our maritime industry and infrastructure and that unless we reverse this trend both our economy and our Nation’s security will suffer. He welcomes the support of the Navy League at both the national level and the Council level and was particularly pleased that we are invigorating our education efforts in this critical area.

      The establishment of this Merchant Marine Council is another great step in that effort but there is still a lot of work to be done. Our National Maritime Policy statement clearly outlines the Navy League position on the importance of the U.S. Flag Merchant Marine and the maritime industry. Now we also have you, the Pacific Merchant Marine Council, to help push this agenda forward.

      I applaud you for your interest and willingness to take on this challenge. Please know that you will have my total support. You are all now part of a vibrant organization, an organization that has maintained its strength and relevance for more than 100 years. As long as America remains a maritime nation – and that is likely to be for quite some time given the realities of our geography! – the Navy League must continue to sound the call to the public and our elected officials.

      Always remember our greatest strength is the commitment we have to ensure that our superb patriots, the great men and women of our Navy, Coast Guard, Merchant Marine, and Marine Corps have the weapons, platforms, and training to fight and win and come home alive!
      Thank you for your kind attention, your willingness to volunteer and serve, and your commitment to a strong and free America!

      Good luck and God bless this Council!

      John A. Panneton
      National President

      Council makes the front page of http://navyleague.org!

      New Pacific Merchant Marine Council established in San Francisco

      National President John Panneton inaugurated the Pacific Merchant Marine Council, the Navy League’s newest council.

      http://navyleague.org/public_relations/pmm012207.php

      Council News: New Pacific Merchant Marine Council Established in San Francisco

      Navy League's newest council, the Pacific Merchant Marine Council, was 'launched' aboard the SS Jeremiah O'Brien in San Francisco December 11 by National President John Panneton, accompanied by VADM Albert Herberger, National Vice President for Merchant Marine Affairs. RADM Frank X. Johnston, MARAD Western Administrator joined in the event.

      The charter ceremony, held aboard the World War II liberty ship, was witnessed by 80 attendees as the 44 charter members were recognized and sworn in. The first Council President is Captain Kerry O'Brien, USMM(Ret.), and the membership includes many merchant mariners, union representatives and Navy Leaguers who became dual members.

      Pacific Merchant Marine Council is the culmination of [a concerted] effort to focus attention on the nation's US-Flag Merchant Marine, according to Don Hale, Pacific Central Region president.

      "The setting for this important event in the Navy League, aboard the historic Jeremiah O'Brien in San Francisco Bay, seemed most appropriate," Hale commented. "We expect the Council to grow under Kerry O'Brien's leadership ... as the significance of its focus grows."

      PMMC, NLUS, Certificate of Adoption & Support, S. S. Jeremiah O'Brien

      Monday, 9 July 2007, was a historic council day!

      The Pacific Merchant Marine Council adopted our favorite Liberty Ship! At a well attended luncheon the two Merchant Marine captains, our president Kerry O'Brien and the ship's Patrick Moloney signed the document, said a few words, and posed for some photographs.  All very special and less than 7 months since the council received its NLUS charter.

      The certificate, now framed, hangs adjacent to our framed charter in Hold # 2. The accompanying PMMC-NLUS plaque hangs in the officers' wardroom.

      Fine, well-attended luncheon to boot. Good food including ice cream and cake for the occasion!

      Before it was all over, the council gained two new members, Elizabeth (Liz) Anderson, the ship's shoreside office manager, and Jim Wade, the ship's assistant purser and chaplain. Liz, bless her, joined as a life member. Frank Medeiros renewed his membership for another 3 years - well before it was to expire. A number of guests, indicating their checkbook was at home, took membership applications with them.

      If you would like a roster please contact me and I will have one for you at our next council luncheon, Monday, September 10th.

      More activities ahead as the council steams forward.

      Fair winds and following seas,

      Senior Vice President
      Pacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS

      Certificate of Adoption & Support

      Whereas the Navy League of the United States for over one hundred years has expressed its patriotism, commitment, strength of spirit, and support for the Sea Services, and

      Whereas one of the most important objectives of the Navy League is to improve the understanding of and appreciation for those who have served and are serving in America’s forces, and

      Whereas to further these objectives, ships, squadrons, and stations are “adopted” by Navy League councils, and

      Whereas the National Liberty Ship Memorial S.S. Jeremiah O’Brien is a most outstanding testimony and tribute to the roll liberty ships and their crews performed in winning World War II, be it resolved:

      The Pacific Merchant Marine Council of the Navy League of the United States in recognition of their exemplary accomplishments, hereby adopts and commits to support the National Liberty Ship Memorial S.S. Jeremiah O’Brien.

      Kerry C. O’Brien, President

      Acknowledged and accepted with gratitude.

      Carl Nolte, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer

      National Liberty Ship Memorial S.S. Jeremiah O’Brien