Please join us for lunch June 15 - Quinn's, Oakland

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2009

      Ahoy there!

      Please join us for lunch June 15 and pass the word to your San Francisco Bay Area maritime friends and associates - all are invited.

      Timely "Going Green" topic with a panel of speakers who know the subject.

      Suspect you recall the restaurant - great menu and staff. Order what you like; separate tabs. Please let me know if you will be there.

      Anchors Aweigh,

      Phelps Hobart, President
      Pacific Merchant Marine Council
      Navy League of the United States
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PMMC-NLUS < 1st place NLUS award winning website - ask to be added to the subscriber list
      PO Box 191403
      Sacramento CA 95819-1403
      (916) 739-6949 | (916) 955-3972 Cell | PMMC@...

      The Navy League of the United States, founded with President Roosevelt's encouragement in 1902, is a civilian organization with approximately 60,000 members. The League is focused on reminding the American public and government officials that the United States is a maritime nation and that its national defense and economic well being are dependent upon strong sea services - the Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard and U. S. Flag Merchant Marine. NLUS and its 270 councils sponsor activities, events, and awards along with supporting military and Sea Cadet units. Its monthly magazine Sea Power covers United States maritime defense news. Captain's Call is the council's newsletter.
      The Pacific Merchant Marine Council, chartered 11 December 2006, is specifically focused on supporting the United States maritime industry. Luncheon meetings are quarterly. Monday, June 15 we return to Quinn's Lighthouse Restaurant and Pub, Oakland, for a delicious luncheon and a panel presentation on Short Sea Shipping out of Oakland.

      NAVY LEAGUE of the United States

      “Citizens in Support of the Sea Services”

      Pacific Merchant Marine Council Luncheon Invitation

      Date: Monday, 15 June 2009

      Time: Social 1130 ~ Lunch 1200

      Place: Quinn’s Lighthouse Restaurant and Pub, Oakland, Embarcadero Cove Marina, 1951 Embarcadero East, http://www.QuinnsLighthouse.com

      Directions: From I-880, Nimitz Highway, heading south, exit 16th Avenue and proceed 3 blocks. Heading north, exit for Coast Guard Island then north on Embarcadero East. Carpooling encouraged.

      Program: Panel presentation on short sea shipping out of Oakland. Can transport on the regional marine highways compete?

      Meal: Order from the extensive luncheon menu. Individual tab. Reservations desired. Please contact Phelps Hobart, (916) 739-6949 | PMMC@...

      Additional details:
      • Guests and Visitors welcome!
      • $20 cash discount for those joining the Navy League at the luncheon.
      • Get the latest information on our growing council.
      • Fund raising drawing - for cash and prizes (donations appreciated).
      • Opportunity to share a sea story, news, a joke, or a remark.
      • Next luncheon meeting September 21; location to be determined.

      AMERICA'S MARINE HIGHWAY PROGRAM

      The Value of America's Marine Highway

      Congestion in our transportation system costs Americans an estimated $200 billion every year, or 4.2 billion hours in traffic, and a staggering 2.9 billion gallons of fuel which continues to fluctuate daily (today's crude barrel price), idling it into the atmosphere in the form of greenhouse gas.  And we are facing a capacity crunch as we look to the future. As a striking example, the Federal Highway Administration report entitled, "Estimated Cost of Freight Involved in Highway Bottlenecks – Final Report" (Nov. 12, 2008)", that there are, on average, currently 10,500 trucks per day per mile on the Interstate Highway System. By 2035, this is projected to more than double, when there will be 22,700 trucks, with the most heavily used portions of the system seeing upwards of 50,000 trucks per day per mile.

      America’s Marine Highway is currently underutilized. This vast system of more than 25,000 miles of coastal, inland, and intracoastal waterways already moves about 1.4 billion tons of freight annually, but this represents only about 2 percent of our domestic freight. Expanding the use of this valuable resource will not only help mitigate the gridlock of landside congestion, but also offers significant opportunities to help reduce emissions, decrease our dependence on oil, and find alternatives to costly maintenance and construction of highway and railroad infrastructure.

      There are already more than 25 Marine Highway services operating around the country. They currently provide reliable, efficient transportation services with the benefits of reduced emissions and energy savings.  You can do your part today - Click on the map to the left to find a clean Marine Highway service to ship your freight or vehicles now.

      As we look ahead, the future of America’s Marine Highway is brighter than ever before, with the launch of the new America’s Marine Highway Program promising to help accelerate the expanded use of this valuable national network of corridors to transport even more freight and passengers in a greener, more efficient and responsible manner. Please see the America's Marine Highway brochure or scroll down for more information.

      American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009

      The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 includes discretionary funds for the surface transportation system which includes America's Marine Highways.  The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) provides the Secretary of Transportation with $1.5 billion in discretionary funds for capital investments in our surface transportation infrastructure. The Secretary is required to award the funds on a competitive basis for projects that will have a significant impact on the Nation, a metropolitan area or a region. Eligibility for these funds include, but is not limited to, port infrastructure investments and projects that connect ports to other modes of transportation while improving the efficiency of freight movement.

      The Maritime Administration is working with the Office of the Secretary and other Department of Transportation Agencies to develop selection criteria for this discretionary grant program. A complete package for this program will be available in the next 30 to 60 days.

      Energy Independence & Security Act of 2007

      In December 2007, the President signed the Energy Independence and Security Act, directing the Secretary of Transportation to establish a program aimed at expanding the use of America’s Marine Highway as an extension of the surface transportation system to mitigate landside congestion. As the first step in developing the program, the Department of Transportation published an interim final rule on Oct. 9, 2008; you can also see the Stay of Effectiveness.

      The proposed rule establishes a framework to provide federal support to both institutionalize and expand the use of America’s Marine Highway. It has four primary components:

      1. Marine Highway Corridors: Designating Corridors will integrate the Marine Highway into the surface transportation system and encourage the development of multi-jurisdictional coalitions to focus public and private efforts and investment.
      2. Marine Highway Project Designation: Designating Marine Highway Projects is aimed at mitigating landside congestion by starting new or expanding existing services to provide the greatest benefit to the public in terms of congestion relief, improved air quality, reduced energy consumption and other factors. Designated Projects will receive direct support from the Department of Transportation.
      3. Incentives, Impediments and Solutions: The Maritime Administration, in partnership with public and private entities, will identify potential incentives and seek solutions to impediments to encourage utilization of the Marine Highway and incorporate it, including ferries, in multi-state, state and regional transportation planning.
      4. Research: The Department of Transportation, working with the Environmental Protection Agency, will conduct research to support America’s Marine Highway, within the limitations of available resources. Research would include environmental and transportation benefits, technology, vessel design, and solutions to impediments.

      Vessels engaged in Marine Highway operations now also qualify for Capital Construction Fund benefits. This program was created to assist owners and operators of U.S.-flag vessels in accumulating the capital necessary for the modernization and expansion of the U.S. merchant marine.

      Marine Highways News

      Please see the latest on America's Marine Highways...

      Reference Library

      America's Marine Highway Program is supported in various ways, including through reports and publications from Government as well as academia.  Refer to the Program's Reference Library for more information.

      Frequently Asked Questions

      For further information, please refer to the Program's Frequently Asked Questions.  If you need additional information, please contact Michael Gordon in the Office of Marine Highways and Passenger Services at 202-366-5468.

    • Roger Bazeley
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 17, 2009

      In the Line of Fire

      In the line of fire;

             As many soldiers wait,

      awaiting their own fates.

            Yet, they hold in their hands,

      away to end the war, or a way to restore peace.

             But in many ways, they use only one hand.

             One hand is in war,

      the other hand is in sorrow,

      for not knowing when it is,

      to be able to return, to their native land.

      In the line of fire,

      as many soldiers wait.

          Their fright abiding within

      Awaiting their own destiny,

      in the line of fire.

             Yet, they hold in their hands,

      a way to safely come home,

      back to their native land.

            Across the seas in Afghanistan,

      across the sands in Iraq.

            America ’s soldiers fight,

      while we wait so long,

      to finally say, “welcome home”.

            Yet it is not clear,

      to know what it’s like.

            On the battle field,

      hearing all that noise.

            The sound of people dying,

      the sound of reeking death.

             The sound of screams and shrieks.

             We Americans, in all the other states,

      can only imagine the horror that the New Yorkers felt.

                But the sounds of ugly gunfire,

      are the scariest of all sounds, when followed by the silence of death.

                The soldiers, our brothers and sisters across the sea and sands, are the only ones.

                To hold in their hand,

      a bittersweet victory to sustain our freedom from terror.

                And the people in New York ,

      who have lost friends and family; we will never know the reality of the moment from TV images.

                What they have gone through,

      smelling the senseless results of evil forever enshrined with the smell of fear and destruction.

                 Watching in September,

      as we all knew.

                 This was shockingly real,

      what happened on the eleventh of September.

                 But as it is now nearly December,

      even as the day’s sun sets, we can all recall the horror,

      as the towers came falling down.

                 Falling down, falling down.

                  We can never forget what happened,

      even in the light of day.

                  In the line of fire,

      there were many brave citizen heroes lost.

                   Many of them were fire fighters, police officers, but most working mothers and fathers leaving behind children.

                   Kids all across America are also heroes, enduring the pain of loss of loved ones and innocence on September 11, 2001 .

                    In my hand I hold,

      with each of you and our heroes the future of FREEDOM, from terror.

                    As it has been told often,

      we are all in the line of fire in protecting freedom, each and every day of our lives.

      (By Mikiko Bazeley (16), Roger Bazeley (60) San Francisco, Father and Daughter)