Fw: Let's Support Admiral Roughead

    Message 1 of 1 , May 22, 2009

      From: Don Hale
      Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2009 10:32 PM
      Subject: Fw: Let's Support Admiral Roughead

      Both Grass Roots Presentations One and Two emphasize that the Navy needs a minimum of 313 ships, as identified in the Navy League’s Maritime Policy.  This fleet size number has been consistently advocated in recent years both by Chairman of the Joint Chief of Staff, Admiral Mullen, and also Chief of Naval Operations, Admiral Roughead. In testimony before the House Armed Services Committee on Thursday, May 14, Admiral Roughead again stated that the 313 ship fleet has to be considered a floor.  As it relates to the 313 ship number, Admiral Roughead testified to the Committee:  “Our Navy's operational tempo over the past year reaffirms our need for necessary capacity and a minimum of 313 ships with a mix of capabilities that includes more ballistic missile defense, irregular warfare and open ocean anti-submarine warfare capabilities.”

      As recently communicated, the administration has only proposed $14.5 billion for the Navy’s FY10 shipbuilding that would permit only eight new ships, well below the eleven or more ships needed to achieve the 313 ship fleet. In his testimony, Admiral Roughead made clear the administration’s FY10 shipbuilding budget proposal presents risks when he stated that “we are progressing at an adjusted pace. Our risk is moderate today trending towards significant in the future because of the challenges associated with fleet capacity, increasing operational requirements and growing manpower, maintenance and infrastructure costs.”  In a response to a direct question as to whether eight new ships are enough, Admiral Roughead stated that “eight ships is not the largest number I would like to see.”

      Admiral Roughead’s testimony to Congress on the national security risks of the Navy’s undersized fleet once again underscores the importance for the continued and increasing success of our Grass Roots program in reaching Members of Congress regarding our nation’s shipbuilding needs.  Thanks for all that you do in promoting this critical Navy League effort.

      Jim

      Jim Bras

      National Legislative Affairs Committee Chair

      Navy League of the United States

      714-272-1170