Fw: Vets News - Moment of Remembrance 09

    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2009
    • 1 Attachment
    • 663 Bytes

    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2009 4:16 PM
    Subject: Vets News - Moment of Remembrance 09

    California Department of Veterans Affairs

    Veterans News

    Contact:  JP Tremblay

    Jerry Jones

    Jaime Arteaga

    Legislation and Public Affairs

    916-653-2192

    May 21, 2009

    THE CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS ASKS CALIFORNIANS TO PAUSE AND REMEMBER OUR FALLEN BROTHERS AND SISTERS THIS MEMORIAL DAY

    The California Department of Veterans Affairs (CalVet) unites with the National Moment of Remembrance, established by Congress, and asks Californians wherever they are at 3:00 p.m., on Memorial Day, May 25, 2009, to pause in an act of national unity for one minute. The time 3:00 p.m. was chosen because it is the time when most Americans are enjoying their freedoms on Memorial Day. The Moment does not replace traditional Memorial Day events; rather it is an act of national unity in which all Americans, alone or with family and friends, honor those who died for our freedom.  It will help to reclaim Memorial Day as the sacred and noble holiday it was meant to be.  In this shared remembrance, we connect as Americans.

    “I encourage all veterans and their families and friends to pause for one minute at 3:00 p.m. this Monday, Memorial Day and remember our brothers and sisters who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our country by their selfless service and commitment to defending our freedom,” stated Roger Brautigan, CalVet Undersecretary.

    So on this Memorial Day, wherever you are, please observe the Moment at 3:00 p.m.  Ask your family, friends, and neighbors to remember and observe the Moment at places such as your neighborhood, local pool, picnic grounds, etc., for one minute of Remembrance.  Participation can be as informal as ringing a bell three times to signify the Moment.

    For more information go to: http://www.remember.gov/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx.

    -30-

    Note to editors: This Veterans News and previous CDVA news releases, advisories, and newsletters are available on our website at www.cdva.ca.gov and via email from Jaime.Arteaga@....