Fw: From Yountville Navy League - Memorial Day Weekend Rally at Yountville Veterans Home on Sunday May 24th

    Message 1 of 1 , May 20, 2009
    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 7:26 PM
    Subject: From Yountville Navy League - Memorial Day Weekend Rally at Yountville Veterans Home on Sunday May 24th

    Fellow Navy Leaguers – If you are in the area over Memorial Day weekend, please join us at the Veterans Home!

    (See details attached and below)

    Barton Buechner

    CAPT USN (Ret)

    Vice President, Navy League of the NapaValley

    You are invited to join in a “Rally for Remembrance” at the Lincoln Theater, Veterans Home of California – Yountville on Sunday, May 24th beginning at 2 PM.  We are assembling an impressive array of patriotic displays, vehicles, music and organizations for a video message to our deployed troops (via the Armed Forces Radio and Television System) and hope you will be a part of it!  Following the rally, there will be a multimedia rock concert in the Lincoln Theater featuring the music of the band CTS that will start at 4 PM. After that, for those who can stay, we will have our traditional “Watchfire” ceremony at the Home’s historic cemetery.

    This special Memorial Day program is presented in commemoration of the Veterans Home’s 125th Anniversary year.  It is our intention to include and recognize many of the Northern California and Bay Area Veterans and civic groups which have been an important part of our history, and share in the legacy of “Veterans Helping Veterans” that unites us in supporting and caring for our nation’s warriors.

    Will you join us?

    The attachments to this e-mail contain more details about these events, and I am providing a list of links below that contain more information.  Please forward them on to your contacts who may be interested, and/or post them in public places in your community where veterans and patriots and their families are likely to see them.

    Thanks for your support and consideration. You can reach me directly via e-mail and at (707) 339-1324 if you have questions or need to coordinate.

    -Bart Buechner

    (P.S. - Please reply to this e-mail indicating if you will participate, whether you will bring a banner or display, and approximate numbers who may attend …… Thanks!)

    Barton Buechner

    Deputy Administrator

    “An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity”  - Martin Luther King, Jr.

    “NEVER FORGOTTEN” 1955 Chevy Racecar:

    Built by retired Napa Firefighter and Vietnam Veteran Max Lofgren as a tribute to the 2,211 men who were unaccounted for in 1995 when the car was built - in 2003, the names of all POWs including civilian POWs totaling 3,578 as Prisoners of War/Missing in Action during the Vietnam War from 1952 to 1975.  It appears at this event in remembrance of fellow veteran Tom Fiske .  See more at  http://www.neverforgotteninc.org/

    The Honor Run organization has included the Memorial Day Weekend event at Yountville as part of their nation-wide program.  See more about the Honor Run at http://www.thehonorrun.org/events/entertainment/entertainment.html

    The CTS concert features a “rising star” rock band from Phoenix , which has shared the stage with Gary Sinese and the LT Dan Band for the Honor Run in Southern California .  They will perform original songs written by band leader Jeff Senour , (a pilot with Southwest Airlines) which have special meaning for today’s service men and women. The band and it’s music are featured at - http://www.cts-music.com/

    The Pathway Home Program:

     Special recognition will be given at the Rally to the Pathway Home program for

    Combat Veterans of Iraq andAfghanistan . http://www.thepathwayhome.org

    The Lincoln Theater :

    Tickets for the CTS and Count Basie concerts will be on sale soon through the Theater’s box office – (707) 944-1300.  Watch for more information on the website:  http://www.lincolntheater.com

    SATURDAY May 23rd

    Special “Big Band”era concert by the Count Basie Orchestra in Lincoln Theater starting at 7 PM

    SUNDAY May 24th

    Rally for Remembrance to honor those service members who have given their lives in the Global War on Terror – starts at 2:00 PM at the Lincoln Theater outdoor Circle and Lobby.

    Rock concert by CTS at 4 PM in the Lincoln theater – tickets on sale through the Lincoln Theater Box Office, all seats $20.00.

    Watchfire ceremony starts at 6:30 PM

    Sponsored by the Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 702 as a remembrance of our fallen comrades and POW MIA of all wars.

    The Watchfire is a Revolutionary War tradition which has been observed at the Veterans Home since 1996 following the second visit of the “Moving Wall” traveling Vietnam Veterans Memorial. It features music, poetry, storytelling and comradeship around the watchfire, Ceremonies at dusk mark the half-masting of the flag at Memorial Hill, and decoration of the gravesites with flowers and lights in preparation for Memorial Day.

    MONDAY May 25th

    A moving Memorial Day ceremony at the Home’s historic cemetery

    featuring the singing of Suzi Gilbert and a salute to the Grand Army of the Republic – the originators of the national Memorial Day holiday and founders of the Veterans Home of California after the Civil War.