D-Day Remembered Aboard The S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien June 6

    Message 1 of 2 , May 9, 2009

      Dear Members and Friends,

      The SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN is currently in Dry Dock for maintenance and repairs. She is expected to be back home at Pier 45 on May 15. She again had her bottom inspected and painted. Considerable funds were saved when it was determined the shaft did not have to be pulled. It is anticipated the next shipyard visit will be a number of years away - maybe five.

      Don't forget the on board gathering t'wen decks hold #2, National Maritime Day, 1700 Friday, May 22 in memory of RAdm. Patterson and the Memorial Cruise Saturday, May 23.

      June 6 come join the officers and crew of the SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN in a special ceremony aboard the ship to celebrate D-Day, and to honor the heroism and sacrifices of the soldiers, sailors, airmen and seamen who made possible the successful invasion of Normandy and the eventual liberation of Europe.

      Pacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS

      PS Though there has not been an announcement, the board of directors of the O'BRIEN has hired Dennis Koller Executive Director. This is good news. Based on his background in management of capitol fund campaigns, board leadership and training, planned giving/endowment programs, he should be the right man at the right time. He has been in business since 1975.

      From: Jack Opet
      To: Donald Hale
      Date: Saturday, May 9, 2009, 2:54 PM
      Subject: D-Day Remembered Aboard The S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien

      Mr. Hale,

      As we have discussed last week, below is an email invitation for the upcoming D-Day Remembered special event aboard the S.S. Jeremiah O'Brien.

      I would be most appreciative if you could forward this email invitation to your greater Bay Area Navy League membership on behalf of the Captain and Crew of the O'Brien.

      The focus of this event will be to commemorate D-Day, and remember the individual contributions made by both our military and our merchant marine personnel to securing our nation's liberty.

      I have also attached a Word document of the same invitation if this is more convenient to distribute to your membership.

      If you have any questions, please feel free to call me at (510) 524-7930 or email me at jropet at aol dot com..

      We look forward to seeing local Navy League members aboard the O'Brien on the 6th.

      Regards,

      Jack Opet

      Note...I really appreciate your help in getting the word out to your members about this event.

      65th D-Day Anniversary Commemoration

      On behalf of the National Liberty Ship Memorial, the Captain and Crew of the SS Jeremiah O’Brien cordially invite you to attend a special D-Day ceremony to celebrate the 65th anniversary of the “longest day”, and to honor the heroism and sacrifices of the soldiers, sailors, airmen and seamen who made possible the successful invasion of Normandy and the eventual liberation of Europe.

      The ceremony will be help aboard the vessel alongside Pier 45 in San Francisco on Saturday, June 6th.  The ship will open at 0900, with the ceremony commencing at 1030 and lasting approximately 90 minutes.  It will include a number of special guests, including veterans who participated in the Normandy operation, and special shipboard activities.  Free refreshments will be available.

      In recognition of our veterans’ contributions to our nation’s liberty, 40% of the net proceeds from the June 6th ceremony will be donated to local non-profit organizations that are dedicated to serving our veterans and their families.

      Individuals interested in attending the June 6th ceremony can obtain tickets in one of four ways:

      1.  Complete the attached ticket application form and mail it to the O’Brien’s shoreside office address shown on the form.
      2.  Call the O’Brien’s shoreside office any weekday between the hours of 0900 and 1600.  The number is (415) 544-0100.
      3.  Go to the O’Brien’s web page at www.ssjeremiahobrien.org and follow the instructions For more information about June 6th D-Day Remembered.
      4.  Purchase a ticket at the Pier 45 ticket office on the morning of June 6th.

      Ticket prices will be $40 per adult for the general public; however, veterans will be given a special $5 discount in recognition of their service to the country.  Young adults 17 and under will be charged only $20.

      Included with each ticket is a 2009 Liberty Ship Membership that entitles the member to free admission aboard the ship for the balance of the year, a subscription to the ship’s newsletter, and special offers from the ship’s store.

      As the world’s last unaltered Liberty Ship of the 2710 that were constructed during the war, fully restored and maintained in her original condition, and operated by an all-volunteer crew, the O’Brien is an ideally suited venue for this ceremony by virtue of its own role at Normandy in 1944.

      The ship was delivered to the U.S. government on June 30, 1943, and on its fourth voyage to Europe, the O’Brien made eleven shuttle runs between England and Ireland, and the Omaha and Utah beachheads.  And fifty years later, it was the only vessel that participated in history’s largest invasion to return to Normandy as part of the 50th anniversary celebration.

      We look forward to seeing you and your guests on D-Day, and joining us to commemorate this very special day in history with some very special people.

      Very truly yours,

      Dennis Koller
      Executive Director
      National Liberty Ship Memorial