Navy League support sail training for American Mariners?

    Message 1 of 2 , May 7, 2009
      Sail training for our mariners? Our merchant marine cadets?

      Today's modern commercial passenger ships with sail power are so computer controlled. Are there sail powered cargo ships?

      Any strong personal endorsement of such a program at our nation's maritime academies? If so, we will weigh in on the subject.

      Phelps

      E-mail: navyleaguenyc at aol.com

      Message 2 of 2 , May 8, 2009
        Dear Phelps,

        I got my start in sail. At 14 I was in a training schooner. I grew up pulling and sailing whaleboats on SF Bay. I had sailed in two square riggers before joing the Navy at 17.

        When I retired from Masters,Mates & Pilots on Mar 1 2007, I was only one of three men in the Union who held a US Coast Guard License endorsement as Master of Sailing Vessels upon Oceans.

        Those of us who were fortunate to be trained in Sail, usually become first rate ship handlers, and more conscious of the elements. There are other esoteric benefits like building self confidence, team work,    mental and physical toughness.

        Several of the South American countries and Japan have sail programs..The US has the training vessel "Eagle"

        I'm all for sail training.  Captain K.C. O'Brien