San Francisco JROTC

    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 2009

      From: Don Hale
      Sent: Sunday, May 03, 2009 8:22 PM
      Subject: Fw: JROTC reinstatement

      --- On Sun, 5/3/09, Chuck Shea wrote:
      From: Chuck Shea
      Subject: JROTC reinstatement
      Date: Sunday, May 3, 2009, 8:16 PM

      FORWARDED MESSAGE
      FROM NELSON LUM, 1st Vice Commander American Legion Dist 8

      Excerpt from Full Message;

       We are asking you to bring along your friends and family members to 555 Franklin Street on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 5:00 PM. We will be joined by other Veterans Organizations, hundreds of students, members of Chinese American Democratic Club, San Francisco Republicans, Rev. Amos Brown, President of San Francisco Chapter of NAACP, and members of the African American Community to demand a yes vote for the reinstatement of JROTC.

      Full Message:

      To all our comrades and friends:

      Time for the resolution to reinstate JROTC is finally upon us.  On May 12, 2009, the Board of Education of San Francisco Unified School District will vote on the resolution proposed by Commissioner Jill Wynn to reinstate JROTC. We’ve managed to defeat all the delaying tactics by our opponents and put this important issue on the agenda to be decided upon one way or the other. We will no longer tolerate ambiguity from commissioner(s) who has/have straddled the fence while trying to appease the various special interest groups. We need you to come to this very important meeting to show support for an issue that has consumed our time, energy and finance for more than three years.

      When the anti-military members of the Board of Education voted to abolish JROTC back in November of 2006, they had no idea that their action would awaken the sleeping giant. The sleeping giant I am referring to is symbolic of San Franciscans who are fed up by these elected officials’ placement of their personal political agenda over the best interest of our students and parents whom they have sworn to serve.

      This is a special moment in the history of San Francisco where a small group of citizens and students have summoned the courage to confront the political elite. The political pundits have said our opponents are too powerful and connected. Yet, with the support of San Franciscans, along with assistance from organizations such as Cathay Post #384 of the American Legion, we have grown into a political force that our opponents can no longer ignore.

      When we gathered signatures to place Prop. V on the ballot, we were afforded the opportunity to educate the public about JROTC. Such as: almost 100% graduation rate from high school, 98% enrollment in college, a program supported by 85% of all the students, all the principles and PTSA’s (Parent Teacher Student Associations) in the affected schools. The program teaches leadership, discipline, teamwork, and most importantly, all the cadets are required to perform community services. We have been able to dispel the spin by our opponents that JROTC is somehow connected to the war in Iraq . Our opponents also claimed JROTC is a recruitment program for the military which has been shown to be untrue. I must add that there is nothing wrong with being associated with the military. We would not be here today if we were not blessed with honorable men and women who defended our country, we owe our freedom to those who have served and sacrificed.

      Over 55% of San Franciscans responded by voting yes for Prop. V in November 2008. Unfortunately, some members of the Board of Education are still clinging to their ideology and refused to act accordingly. We are asking you to bring along your friends and family members to 555 Franklin Street on Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 5:00 PM. We will be joined by other Veterans Organizations, hundreds of students, members of Chinese American Democratic Club, San Francisco Republicans, Rev. Amos Brown, President of San Francisco Chapter of NAACP, and members of the African American Community to demand a yes vote for the reinstatement of JROTC. We will need to have an overwhelming turn out to send an unmistakable message to the politicians that we want real substance over political ideology. Let’s show these politicians we expect them to obey the will of the people and we will accept nothing less than the full reinstatement of JROTC in SFUSD. The sleeping giant has awakened. Please forward this message to all your friends and ask for their support. Thank you.

      Nelson Lum

      1st Vice Commander

      District 8, American Legion