Last call: Council Luncheon 16 March

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14 10:42 AM
      Thank you to everyone who made reservations for our luncheon 16 March. This is the last call for those who have not sent in their check or otherwise notified me. We are delighted to have a number of guests from the San Francisco Council and the Sea Scouts.

      Social time begins at 1130. At eight bells we will start the luncheon with the invocation, pledge, and a few introductions then by table proceed to the buffet line. Corned brisket of beef has been added to the sandwich selections along with the salami, turkey, and cheeses. The chocolate cake with white frosting and green sprinkles is inscribed on top, "We salute the A. M. M. V."

      We welcome donations for the drawing and social. If anyone would like to bring cookies, that is swell too. There is a bit of a white and green St. Patrick's Day theme for table decorations and the cake.

      Hope to see you all at the luncheon - the more the merrier. $20 with reservations, $22 without, free for your guests who join the Navy League and affiliate with our council.

      Pacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS
      (916) 739-6949 | PMMC@...

      Sent: Saturday, March 14, 2009 10:13 AM
      Subject: 1946 U. S Merchant Marine postage stamps

      Mr. Carl Nolte, Chief Executive Officer
      National Liberty Ship Memorial

      Ahoy Carl,

      Along with our Pacific Merchant Marine Council check we have a mint sheet of 1946 U. S. Merchant Marnine U. S. postage stamps to present at our council luncheon aboard the O'BRIEN 16 March. The check and stamps are given in memory of charter member R. Adm. Thomas Patterson and all American Merchant Marine Veterans.

      Anchors Aweigh,

      Merchant Marine Commemorative Stamp.  United States, 1946.

      Issued  26 February 1946 in the District of Columbia, this stamp honors the achievements of the U.S. Merchant Marine in World War II. The engraved design is a composite from photographs of two Liberty Ships, the "James Madison" and the "John W. Troy." The above image is an enlargement; the actual stamp size is 26mm x 40mm. It was designed by V.S. Closkey, Jr.