Re: S. S. UNITED STATES

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 12, 2009

      Anyone to restore the SS UNITED STATES?

      Found this while visiting http://www.congress.org, a good site to visit for US congressional matters. Excellent site for communicating with your Senator or Representative.

      A web search reveals many fine sites devoted to the SS UNITED STATES.

      SAVE THE SS UNITED STATES
      FELLOW AMERICANS:

      I am writing to notify you of the potential loss of one of our nation's irreplaceable treasures, one no less historic than the Spirit of St. Louis, the Lunar Landing Module, and the Space Shuttle.

      The SS UNITED STATES, our nation's flagship, smashed all transatlantic speed records on her maiden voyage in 1952. Those records still remain unbroken by any passenger or naval vessel. Since 2003, Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) has owned this crowning achievement of American design and engineering with the stated intention of refurbishing her and returning her to service. However, Star Cruises, NCL's parent company, is now preparing to list the ship for sale. This means that there is a high probability that our national flagship, which still flies the U.S. flag, will likely be sold overseas for scrap, given present economic conditions and the current high prices for scrap steel and aluminum. We cannot allow this symbol of American ingenuity to meet such an ignoble fate.

      The SS UNITED STATES was listed on the National Register of Historic Places prior to the normal 50 year minimum age based upon the "compelling national significance" criterion. The pre-50 year inclusion is earned by fewer than two percent of all applicants. The SS UNITED STATES was one of America's "secret weapons" during the Cold War era and can, and should, once again become a symbol of American strength and resilience during this era of renewed hope in America's future.

      Designed to be easily converted into a troop ship, she was able to transit the Panama Canal and transport 15,000 troops over 10,000 miles without refueling. She embodied the triumphant spirit of post-WWII "can do" America. Built at Newport News Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company in Virginia, she never once experienced a mechanical mishap during 2,770,844 nautical miles and 17 years of service.

      Now, Americans must come together to save this inspirational national symbol for future generations. Recent tests have revealed that the ship's hull is still in near original condition. The SS UNITED STATES can serve us honorably as a vibrant example of the success of our new economic stimulus plans. Planned and executed correctly, she can help generate many jobs and much needed tax revenue. The ship is the perfect candidate for a public-private restoration project, whether as a stationary floating attraction and museum in a major American port city, or fully restored as a sea going ambassador ship.

      I hope you agree that scrapping is unacceptable for the crown jewel of the American Merchant Marine and I urge you to take action to prevent the SS UNITED STATES from being towed to the breakers. I welcome the opportunity to discuss these matters with you in greater detail.

      Sincerely,
    • capt.ob@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 12, 2009
        Dear Phelps, My late friend, Bill Krasnosky and Ca[ptain Frank Mederios both sailed in the SS United States out of New York....she was an NMU, MEBA, MM&P ship.....Currently there are no American Flag passenger ships sailing, to the best of my knowledge. .Kerry