California Maritime Academy Events

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2009
      Members and Friends,

      The relationship between our council and the California Maritime Academy is especially appropriate. It is in its infancy.

      Of special note is the RADM. Frank X. Johnston Scholarship Fund established at the Academy early last year. There are other funds but for supporting the students, contributing to this one should be seriously considered.

      Please attend CMA activities and events.
      Note the CMA alumni meet 4th Thursdays at Gordon Biersch*, 2 Harrison Street, San Francisco. Let me know if we too should schedule 4th Thursdays Pacific Merchant Marine Council "Splice the Main Brace" socials at Gordon Beirsch.

      Thanks,

      Phelps

      * Located on the Embarcadero along San Francisco's historic waterfront, Gordon Biersch offers one of the most dramatic views of the San Francisco Bay Bridge, especially while enjoying a Märzen from our patio! Gordon Biersch is accessibly located adjacent to metro rail. Situated in the historic Hills Brothers Coffee building, Gordon Biersch is convenient to Giants baseball as well as the wharf district and Market Street. After 5pm, 3hrs of free parking validation.

      _____________________________________

      Date:  Tuesday, January 20, 2009
      Time:  5:00 PM Reception and no-host bar
                6:00 PM Dinner and Program
      Place: Zio Fraedo's of Vallejo
                23 Harbor Way, Vallejo, CA

      Scholarship support truly makes a difference by helping to ease the students’ financial burden so they can focus on their academic endeavors. We will be honoring those companies and individuals who have supported CMA cadets through their generous contributions to our scholarship fund. Additionally, we will be recognizing cadets who have benefited from the contributions to our scholarship fund. Unable to attend? Consider a sponsorship opportunities. For more information contact Silvia Regalado, sregalado at csum dot edu, Coordinator of Special Events and Alumni Affairs.

      ______________________________________

      The CMA Gala Fundraiser:

      On Saturday, March 28, 2009, Cal Maritime will hold its 5th Annual Gala at the Marines' Memorial Club in San Francisco.  In addition to an evening of great food and an opportunity to network with colleagues in the maritime industry, we will conduct a live and silent auction to raise money for scholarships and educational programs at Cal Maritime.

      With approximately 275 guests, last year's Gala nearly sold out — and included guests in executive-level positions from organizations such as the U.S. Coast Guard, Ports America, Hawaii Tug and Barge, Foss, APL, Chevron, Port of San Francisco, MARAD, Matson and Tesoro. The event was CMA's most successful yet -- raising more than $110,000 for our cadets!

      We certainly hope that you will mark your calendar and plan to join us at our 2009 Gala.  Among the milestones we will be celebrating that evening is Cal Maritime's 80th Anniversary.

      For more information about the event, or to learn about sponsorship opportunities, please contact Jennifer Whitty, Director of Development and Alumni Affairs, at jwhitty at csum dot edu
      or 707-654-1245.

      _______________________________________

      CMA Commencement:

      Commencement will be at CMA Saturday, May 2nd. Commissioning and Awards presentation that morning.

      ______________________________________

      CMA Alumni 4th Thursdays:

      The CMA Alumni Association has organized monthly, casual, come-if-you-can gatherings in the major cities where Cal Maritime alumni are living and working. Dubbed 4th Thursdays, the concept was spearheaded in the San Francisco Bay Area and Seattle and has expanded to many other regions across the country. All will take place beginning at 5:30 p.m. on the Fourth Thursday of every month at popular local brewpubs and restaurants, and are intended to be informal.

      The goal is to have the 4th Thursday events in major cities where CMA alumni are based. That way, whether at home or traveling, alumni will know on the fourth Thursday of the month, they’ll find a place near them where they can connect with fellow CMA alumni.

      Below are the current scheduled 4th Thursday locations.  This list will be updated as new venues are added.  If you live in an area that does not currently have an organized 4th Thursday event and you'd like to volunteer to organize one, contact the alumni office at alumni at csum dot edu or 707-654-1228.

      Anchorage, AK
      Honolulu
      Jacksonville, FL
      Long Beach, CA