Re: Pacific Far East Line (PFEL) and LASH vessels

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 18, 2008
      From Capt. Kerry O'Brien:

      Phelps,

      For the mentioned reasons, LASH ships were not commercially viable.

      I sailed as Second Mate in several of them for Waterman and Central Gulf
      (both outfits owened by the same two brothers). These ships are ameable
      to military use however, and are still to be found in the MARAD
      inventory today.

      I was Convoy Officer (Naval Laison Officer) in SS Austral Rainbow during
      Operation Rainbow Reef in Diego Garcia in 1993.

      Kerry

      PS Great interview in the latest SEAPOWER with an old friend, Owen
      Dougherty of MARAD. He and I served together in the USNR-MMR and he is
      also an alum of the Naval War College. I attended King's Point
      Anti-Piracy and Terroism Course (The Master Mariner's Course) in 1994.

      PSS Re: Wreaths Across America: Phelps, Good show! God Bless, Kerry

      Thanks Kerry.

      For all: Replies are welcome but please delete all or most of the
        I don't know how. I am not a clerical guy..I can barely do e-mail and write a letter!   Merry Christmasand Happy New Year!.....Kerry

        From: "Phelps Hobart" <nlsac@...>

        From Capt. Kerry O'Brien: