Re: Pacific Merchant Marine Council Luncheon Meeting Monday 8 December

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2008

      Ahoy Members and Friends,

      Below is our luncheon invitation and my president's letter that should arrive by postal mail Monday.

      Also information on the Naval Order of the United States and a Navy League membership application I hope you will reproduce and distribute to friends and associates.

      The December 8 luncheon is an ideal opportunity to introduce them to the League and our unique coucil.

      Please let me know if you will (or will not be attending the luncheon). No need to send a check your credit is good but please pay at the luncheon.

      Anchors Aweigh,

      NAVY LEAGUE of the United States

      Pacific Merchant Marine Council

      Cordially invite you and your guests to our Luncheon

      in honor and remembrance of

      Rear Admiral Thomas J. Patterson, USMS (Ret.)

      Vice Admiral David P. Pekoske, USCG, Commander Pacific Area

      Guest of Honor and Speaker

      1130-1330, Monday, 8 December 2008

      National Liberty Ship Memorial SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN

      San Francisco Pier 45 - north of Fisherman's Wharf

      (Complementary covered parking adjacent to the ship)

      Catered hot meal by Teddy Hobart. Cost: $20 with advance reservation, $22 without. Call (916) 739-6949, E-mail

      PMMC@... or send cash or a check payable to Phelps Hobart, PO Box 191403, Sacramento CA 95819-1403.

      Proceeds from the luncheon and drawing combined with individual donations will be presented to a representative of the ship in Admiral Patterson's name.

      Board of Directors Meeting to follow the luncheon.

      Ship tour to follow the luncheon.

      Dear Member and Friend,

      I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving and wish you the very best through the remaining holidays and the new year. You may know that I was away from home for a month. My wife Teddy and I ventured out on our "Semi-great American Road Trip." First destination was the Navy League Convention in Kansas City, then it was south to Branson, Missouri for the entertainment, then on to New Orleans for the Naval Order Congress. We experienced fair weather all the way - no snow except along the roadside at the higher elevations.

      I am going to delay writing, publishing, and distributing the council's 4th quarter Captain's Call newsletter until after our luncheon December 8. At the luncheon we will nominate, elect, and install our 2009 officers and directors. If at all possible do attend! Our guest of honor is Vice Admiral David P. Pekoske, Commander of the Coast Guard's Pacific Area. With an emphasis on merchant shipping we will hear the latest on the force's homeland security activities.

      The luncheon is dedicated to the memory of Rear Admiral Thomas J. Patterson, USMS (Ret.) I have asked Chaplain Wade to prepare a special prayer for the occasion. Proceeds from the luncheon, the drawing, combined with individual contributions will be given to a representative of the ship in Tom's name. As you know, the O'BRIEN has a shipyard dry-dock visit ahead. It is expected to cost multi-million dollars to accomplish the necessary repairs so she can keep steaming. We made a contribution for her upkeep at our March luncheon and hope to top it. The ship remains our council's only adopted unit.

      As our council financial picture continues to improve we may take on the support of an additional ship. For sure there are several - historic as well as merchant ships currently serving our nation.

      Our Pacific Merchant Marine Council remains a bright star within the constellation of the Navy League's Pacific Central Region. For membership no other council comes close to the growth in membership we have experienced. If the Navy League issues a membership retention award we are going to get it! Please don't let your membership lapse - renew early preferably for life or three years. Our Captain's Call newsletter was a serious contender for 2007; hopefully it will earn an award for 2008. Our website earned the Navy League gold for 2007 - come to the luncheon to see the plaque.

      The council is getting integrated into the maritime community. There is recognition in trade publications, then last spring membership within the pro USA shipping National Cabotage Task Force, and most recently in the California Marine and Intermodal Transportation Advisory Council. It is chaired by member Capt. Bob Dockendorff, USNR (Ret.) and I serve on an important committee. Others are on other state maritime committees and councils.

      The future looks favorable for the council. As a member you may be as active or laid back as you like but I would be remiss if I didn't encourage you to be involved. Please let Stan Ellexson chairing our Nominating Committee, (510) 223-4420, know if you would be willing to serve as an officer or director in 2009. All can assist with membership recruiting.

      We are going to remain without so-called voluntary local dues but for sure we could do more if members wanted to financially back existing and future council endeavors. For example we are pro-Sea Cadets and welcome your support by taking a chance on winning the Naval Sea Cadets Annual Drawing. Follow the instructions on the form and send in your ticket stubs and check ASAP - the drawing is December 13.

      I have enclosed information on another special organization - the Naval Order of the United States. It is even older than the Navy League but it too keeps current. In September its Navy monument at Omaha Beach, Normandy, was dedicated. The San Francisco Commandery has monthly luncheons and other events and will be hosting the National Congress in 2010. Membership is by invitation; if eligible let me know if you would like an invitation to join.

      2009 will be another fine year for our council. Find out more, attend the luncheon December 8 and please bring a friend or two.

      Anchors Aweigh,

      RAdm. Thomas J. Patterson, USMS (Ret.) deceased:

      Vice Admiral David P. Pekoske, USCG:
      Pacific Merchant Marine Council:

      --- In PMMC-NLUS@yahoogroups.com, "Pacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS" <pmmc@...> wrote:

      Dear Members and Friends,

      We wrap up 2008 with this event. Please invite your family and friends.

      I tried to keep the announcement brief; not stated is the fact that this is our "Annual Meeting." We will nominate, elect, and install 2009 council officers and directors. Yes, there is a position for you!

       Those who knew RAdm. Patterson are encouraged to come forward to the podium and reminisce. If you would like to make a contribution in his name, this is the date and time to do it. Part of the proceeds of the luncheon and the proceeds of the drawing will also be donated. The council adopted the O'BRIEN in 2007 and helping her financially is part of our council's obligation.

      Anticipate the 4th Quarter edition of Captain's Call in early December. Written contributions appreciated. It will include news of the NLUS Convention.

      Last but not least, please pass the word on the luncheon. All welcome.

      The Pacific Merchant Marine Council, Navy Leaguer of the United States, Luncheon

      Date: Monday, 8 December 2008
      Time: 1130 - 1330
      Place: National Liberty Ship Memorial SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN, San Francisco Pier 45 (north of Fisherman's Wharf - complementary covered parking adjacent to the ship) Cost: $20 in advance, $22 at the luncheon. Checks payable to Phelps Hobart, PO 91403, Sacramento CA 95819-1403

      Of note:
      Luncheon in honor and memory of Rear Admiral Thomas J. Patterson, USMS (Ret.).
      A donation to the O'BRIEN will be presented in his name.
      Vice Admiral David P. Pekoske, USCG, Commander Pacific Area, guest of honor and speaker (Invited).
      Docent guided ship tours to follow.

      Vice Admiral David P. Pekoske, USCG: http://www.uscg.mil/flag/pacarea.asp
      SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN: http://www.ssjeremiahobrien.org

      Thank you,

      PO Box 191403
      Sacramento CA 95819-1403
      (916) 955-3972 Cell | PMMC@...
      The Pacific Merchant Marine Council was chartered 11 December 2006. Luncheon meetings are the 2nd Monday in March, June, September, and December. December 8th we are aboard the S. S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN, Pier 45, with VAdm. David Pekoske, USCG, Commander Pacific Area as our invited speaker. You are welcome to attend.