1946 U. S Merchant Marine postage stamp

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 15, 2008
      Guess who just purchased a full sheet of these stamps on eBay? Just couldn't resist.

      I anticipate giving it to the O'BRIEN on behalf of the council at our council luncheon aboard the O'BRIEN 8 December in memory of charter member R. Adm. Thomas Patterson. Hopefully the ship will retain the stamps for display.

      Merchant Marine Commemorative Stamp.  United States, 1946.

      Issued 26 February 1946 in the District of Columbia, this stamp honors the achievements of the U.S. Merchant Marine in World War II. The engraved design is a composite from photographs of two Liberty Ships, the "James Madison" and the "John W. Troy." The above image is an enlargement; the actual stamp size is 26mm x 40mm. It was designed by V.S. Closkey, Jr.

      There are plenty more for purchase on the internet.

      For a fine compilation of WW II stamps and first day covers related the Merchant Marine see http://www.usmm.org/fdc.html.