Gold Star Family License Plate Bill Signing Ceremony

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 6, 2008
      October 3rd I attended the Secretary's Conference, California Department of Veteran Affairs. Besides "Open Microphone" topics covered included the California National Guard, Veteran benefits - especially a new "GI Bill", Selective Service (the Draft - 90% of young men registered, felon not to register), Veteran services increasing, Veteran cemeteries increasing, 20th Anniversary of the Veterans Memorial in Capitol Park, Veteran homes, and the Gold Star License Bill (SB 1455). Call me for details.

      Please pass the word. All invited to the special event described below. Meet with Blue Star and Gold Star families, Meet the Navy Leaguers within the CDVA.

      I would be happy to show you around the various Veteran monuments in the park afterwards.

      Phelps Hobart
      Vice President, Veteran Affairs
      Pacific Central Region, NLUS
      ___________________________________

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2008

        Navy Leaguers from various councils were present. The Sacramento Council's banner was prominently on display.  Navy Leaguer Tom Johnson, Secretary, Department of Veteran Affairs, played a prominent roll.

        Fine occasion!

        Phelps

        ____________________________________

        Governor Schwarzenegger Applauds Creation of the Gold Star Family License Plate

        10/08/2008   GAAS:710:08   FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

        (Photographs and video at the above webesite.)
        State of California - Office of the Governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger
        PRESS RELEASE

        10/08/2008   GAAS:710:08   FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

        Governor Schwarzenegger Applauds Creation of the Gold Star Family License Plate

        Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger today highlighted California's creation of the Gold Star Family License Plate. The Governor signed SB 1455 by Senator Dave Cogdill (R-Modesto), which enables family members who have lost an active duty member of the U.S. Armed Forces in current and prior wars to obtain a Gold Star Family License Plate honoring the sacrifices their families have endured.

        "We owe Gold Star Families a debt we can never repay - and enabling them to honor the memory of their sons and daughters, husbands and wives, mothers and fathers is the least we can do," said Governor Schwarzenegger.  "When you see a Gold Star License Plate on the road, remember to think about those who have given their lives to defend our way of life, and keep their families and loved ones in your prayers."

        Allowing the state to honor Gold Star Families without placing a burden on California taxpayers, the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Department of Motor Vehicles will fund the start up costs of the Gold Star Family License Plates using private donations.  Additionally, as a token of the state's appreciation for their sacrifice, SB 1455 provides a special waiver of some fees for Gold Star Families obtaining the plate.

        The Governor also recently signed additional pieces of legislation benefiting veterans and their families including:

        SB 1401 by Senator Joe Simitian (D-Palo Alto) requires the Department of Veterans Affairs and the Military Department to develop plans to reach out to Guard members or veterans returning to California from combat and assist them in obtaining a screening for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Traumatic Brain Injury.

        AB 3083 by the Assembly Committee on Veterans Affairs requires the Department of Health Care Services, in conjunction with the Department of Mental Health, to seek all available federal funding for mental health services for veterans.  The bill also extends mental health services provided by the Adult and Older Adult Mental Health System of Care Act to include veterans, and requires counties to provide mental health services to veterans to the extent such services are available to other adults.

        AB 2171 by Assemblymember Paul Cook (R-Yucca Valley) which begins the process towards the construction of the Purple Heart Memorial in State Capitol Park in Sacramento.

        SB 1353 by Senator Gloria Negrete McLeod (D-Montclair) authorizes a state employee who is a member of the National Guard or Reserves to receive specified compensation benefits for four additional years, if ordered to serve on and after September 11, 2001, as a result of the War on Terrorism.

        SB 1534 by Senator Jim Battin (R-La Quinta) authorizes uniformed public safety personnel in California to wear decorations or medals authorized by the Military and Veterans Code, the U.S. Armed Forces, the National Guard or the Military Reserve or Naval Militia on and around Veterans Day and Memorial Day.

        AB 190 by Assembly Speaker Karen Bass (D-Los Angeles) authorizes, after local approval, veterans whose vehicles display one number of military special-recognition license plates to park in metered parking spaces without charge.

        AB 2049 by Assemblymember Lori Saldaña (D-San Diego) requires the Superintendent of Public Instruction to convene a task force to review and make recommendations regarding the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children and to report to the Legislature by January 1, 2009.

        SB 1675 by Senator Dave Cox (R-Fair Oaks) provides the California Department of Veterans Affairs with the discretion to structure the terms and conditions of any authorized debt issuance.

        AB 3065 by the Committee on Veterans Affairs enables veterans who have retired from active military service, were honorably discharged from active duty with a service-connected disability or honorably discharged from active duty to apply for state civil service promotional examinations.

        SB 1495 by Senator Christine Kehoe (D-San Diego) allows a taxpayer to retain the disabled veteran's property tax exemption in the case of a partial loss of the taxpayer's home due to a misfortune or calamity, and a full or partial loss due to a major disaster for which the governor has declared a state of emergency.

        California Creates Gold Star Plates

        SACRAMENTO, CA- After a two year effort in the state legislature, California families who have lost loved one's in current or former wars can honor them with special Gold Star license plates.

        Governor Schwarzenegger met with Gold Star families on Wednesday at the state capitol, where he said, "We owe Gold Star Families a debt we can never repay."

        "It is a huge gift...to all of the families," said Lee Nurre, who's son Joe Nurre was killed by a roadside bomb north of Baghdad in 2005. "Every time I see it it's a reminder of my son. So that's why I am so personally thrilled about it," she said.

        The bill was held up several times in the legislature before finally passing and being signed by the Governor last Friday.

        About 100 family members were on hand at the California Veterans Memorial to hear the Governor applaud their efforts.

        Michael Anderson, who lost a son in the war in Iraq thanked the Governor and legislators for their efforts. "These Gold Star family license plates will forever remind California's motoring public of the sacrifice and bloodshed...we Gold Star families wake up with every day."

        The Department of Veterans Affairs and the Department of Motor Vehicles will fund the start up costs of the Gold Star family license plates using private donations.

        California joins a growing number of states who now offer such plates.

        Nurre said her son would have liked the idea, not for himself, but for others. "He would have been very pleased that other soldiers who have been killed were given this honor."

        Related Story:

        "Gold Star" License Plate Bill Signed