RAdm. Thomas J. Patterson died 1 October 2008

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2008
      Rear Admiral Thomas J. Patterson, USMS (Ret.) died 1 October in New York. He was an active Navy League life member and a charter member of the Pacific Merchant Marine Council. He was a wonderful individual, a fine officer, and an inspiring influence to countless mariners. God bless.

      Information about the Admiral is below; it includes a message he sent the council in April. In addition a tribute letter from Carl Nolte, Chairman of the Board, National Liberty Ship Memorial S.S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN, is attached and posted in the documents section as it is a pdf file.

      A memorial service will take place Sunday 1300, 5 October, at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point. There will likely be additional services later - aboard the O'BRIEN and elsewhere. I will keep you posted.

      If one should choose to make a donation in Admiral Patterson's memory, the U. S. Merchant Marine Academy Alumni Association is one possibility, http://www.usmmaaa.com; another is the S.S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN, http://www.ssjeremiahobrien.org.

      The Pacific Merchant Marine Council's Luncheon Meeting aboard the O'BRIEN 1130, Monday, 8 December will be dedicated to him. We will have an opportunity to reminis. Contributions from the council and luncheon attendees will be given to a representative of the ship. All are welcome to attend this special occasion.

      Phelps Hobart, President
      Pacific Merchant Marine Council, NLUS

      Retired Rear Admiral Thomas J. Patterson, the founder and for years the guiding light of the National Liberty Ship Memorial S. S. JEREMIAH O'BRIEN.

      World Ship Award

      It was the ‘’best ever’’ Maritime Week Cruise, said Admiral Tom Patterson of the Saturday voyage of the Jeremiah O’Brien on 17 May 2003. Not only was the weather superb, the crowd of over 600 appreciative, but the ship received the Maritime Heritage Award from the World Ship Trust.

      In the world of nautical preservation, this award is the equivalent of the Oscar and the Pulitzer Prize. On hand to present the award to the O’Brien was Jacques Chauveau, chairman of the World Ship Trust. He read a letter from Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh and the husband of Queen Elizabeth, hailing the two ships as models of the fine art of preserving and operating historic ships. Chauveau made particular note of the O’Brien’s role in the D-Day landing in 1944, and the ship’s even more remarkable return to Normandy in 1994. Of all that vast armada—the largest ever assembled—the O’Brien was the only ship to return 50 years later. And she steamed half way around the world to make it, with a crew of World War II veterans.

      Tom Patterson graduated from the United States Merchant Marine Academy during World War II and immediately went to sea. He had a career in the Navy, and became interested—and passionate about—World War II Liberty Ships. After the war, he served aboard the USS Guardian, a Liberty Ship that had been fitted with extensive radar surveillance equipment and used as a top secret radar picket ship. He took command of the ship in a fierce Atlantic hurricane in 1955. (see story on page 10).

      Later, Patterson served as Western Regional Director of the Maritime Administration. The Reserve Fleet at Suisun Bay was one of his responsibilities, and it was there that he first saw the Jeremiah O'Brien, which was one of a number of Liberty Ships then being kept for future use. The class was obsolete, but Patterson and some associates decided to single out one of the ships which they hoped to convert into a memorial to the men and women who built the wartime Merchant Fleet and the Merchant Marine and Navy sailors who crewed them.

      His eye fell on the O'Brien, which was the best preserved of the lot. He helped form the National Liberty Ship Memorial, and was on hand when the O'Brien steamed out of the Reserve Fleet under her own power.

      Patterson also served as Deputy Superintendent of Kings Point, his alma mater with the rank of Rear Admiral in the US Maritime Service. He later conceived the idea of taking the ship back to Normandy for the 50th anniversary of D-Day and was Chairman of the committee that made the trip happen.

      He then left the O'Brien for awhile, but was called back to service in 2000 and became Chairman of the Board. His aim was to put the ship on a sound footing, earn the respect and trust of her volunteer crew and sail her on the bay. He has been successful in all those aims. He has also earned international respect, and in 2004 was awarded the Legion of Honor from the government of France.

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 3, 2008
        PHELPS, I FULLY AGREE WITH YOUR KIND WORDS ABOUT TOM. HE WAS TRULY AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN AND A WONDERFUL ROLE MODEL AND MENTOR TO MANY.
        IN ADDITION TO THE MANY ACTIVITIES AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS LISTED IN YOUR MESSAGE ATTACHMENTS THERE ARE A FEW OTHERS THAT I'M AWARE OF:  MEMBER OF NAVY LEAGUE NATIONAL ADVISORY COUNCIL, IN 1991 HE WAS ON THE BOARD OF CALIFORNIA PILOT COMMISSIONERS, DEPUTY SUPERINTENDENT AT THE U.S. MERCHANT MARINE ACADEMY FOR THREE YEARS, IN 1984 HE RECEIVED THE KINGS POINTER OF THE YEAR AWARD. MEMBER OF THE AMERICAN MARITIME HISTORY PROJECT BOARD OF DIRECTORS, AT THE D-DAY 50TH ANNIVERSARY CEREMONY AT NORMANDY BEACH HE WAS RECOGNIZED BY PRESIDENT BILL CLINTON, AS THE REPRESENTATIVE OF ALL WW II MERCHANT MARINE VETERANS..
        HE WAS A GREAT AMERICAN AND WE WILL MISS HIM.
        AL

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2008

          Obituary posted by the U. S. Merchant Marine Academy Alumni Association.

          Phelps

          _________________________

          Death of Rear Admiral Thomas J. Patterson, USMS (Ret.), Class of 1944

          October 1, 2008

          It is with the deepest regret that we must inform you of the death of Rear Admiral Thomas J. Patterson, USMS (Ret.), Class of 1944, formerly of San Rafael, California.

          Admiral Tom Patterson served his nation for nearly seventy years, as a Merchant Mariner, a Naval Officer, and a Civil Servant. He was perhaps best known for his tireless advocacy of preserving our nation's maritime heritage as founder of the National Liberty Ship Memorial, home of the SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN. His life truly exemplified the Academy's motto, "Acta Non Verba."

          Thomas John Patterson, Jr. was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on September 3, 1924 the son of Tom and Anna Patterson. As a child, he heeded the call of the sea and began a lifelong association with ships. He entered the United States Merchant Marine Academy in 1943, and graduated in December, 1944. For the next six years, he sailed in the Merchant Marine on runs in the Atlantic, Pacific and Middle East, and attained his Master's license. In 1950, Admiral Patterson entered active duty in the United States Navy. During the Korean War, he served aboard USS UNION (AKA 106) as Boat Group Commander for the landings at Inchon and Wonsan. He later had command of the radar picket ship USS GUARDIAN (AGR 1), and the destroyer USS HALSEY POWELL (DD 686). Admiral Patterson left active duty in 1962 and joined the federal Maritime Administration, where he rose to the position of Director, Western Region. During his tenure, he forged a strong partnership between the Maritime Administration, the Navy, the Coast Guard, and the local maritime industry. He was recognized by the Secretary of the Navy with the Distinguished Public Service Award in 1976.

          In 1982, Admiral Patterson returned to his alma mater as Deputy Superintendent. While at Kings Point, he led efforts to save the 1854-vintage steam engine from the TV EMERY RICE, the former USMMA training ship. A staunch supporter of the Academy, the Regimental Band, and the Sailing Team, he and his "Chief Mate", Ann, were ever-present figures at Academy events. Admiral Patterson retired in 1985, after thirty-five years of government service. Over the course of the following twenty-one years, he has cemented his place in history as a staunch advocate of preserving America's seafaring heritage, a role that began in 1962.

          Soon after joining MARAD's Western Region, Admiral Patterson realized that the world's once-vast fleet of Liberty Ships – the ships that guaranteed Allied victory in World War II – would eventually disappear. Determined to preserve that legacy to educate future generations, he combed the ghost ships of the National Defense Reserve Fleet, to identify a sturdy vessel in her original condition. He found one, and for the next 17 years, he played a kind of shell game to keep the SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN from the scrap yards. Finally, in 1979, he organized the National Liberty Ship Memorial, a partnership between the federal and state government, the military and private industry. The ship became part of a floating history exhibit in San Francisco, where she lies to this day. In 1994, she steamed under her own power from San Francisco to Normandy, manned by dozens of merchant marine veterans, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the D-Day landings, the only ship there which had also taken part in the original assault. Today, the SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN is a living testament to the ingenuity and grit of the American Merchant Marine.

          In 2004, Admiral Patterson was named a Chevalier of the Légion D'Honneur by President Jacques Chirac of France, in recognition of his work with the SS JEREMIAH O'BRIEN. He also received the Medal of Honor of the Daughters of the American Revolution, the LaLonde Spirit of the Sea Award of the Council of American Master Mariners, the DOT Distinguished Career Award, and was named the 1984 Kings Pointer Alumnus of the Year. Admiral Patterson was predeceased by his first wife and devoted "Chief Mate" Ann. At the time of his death, he was married to Dorothy Blackburn Patterson, and resided in South Carolina.

          A memorial service has been scheduled at the Mariners' Chapel on Sunday, October 5, 2008 at 1:00 P.M.

          Letters of condolence can be sent to

          The Thomas Patterson Family
          1444 St. Thomas Circle, #D1
          Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

          Admiral Patterson's ashes will be scattered from the JEREMIAH O'BRIEN in May, 2009.

          In lieu of flowers, the family has suggested you consider making a donation to:

          National Liberty Ship Memorial
          Pier 23
          San Francisco, CA 94111