National Prisoner of War / Missing in Action Day Proclamations

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2008
      We join President Bush and Governor Schwarzenegger honoring and remembering all former and current American prisoners of war and those missing in action for their valiant service to our Nation. They have our deepest gratitude. Their indescribable dedication to our country speaks of their character, valor and patriotism.

      Phelps Hobart
      Vice President - Veterans Affairs
      Pacific Central Region, NLUS

      ________________________________

      The White House, President George W. Bush

      For Immediate Release
      Office of the Press Secretary
      September 17, 2008

      National POW/MIA Recognition Day, 2008
      A Proclamation by the President of the United States of America

      On National POW/MIA Recognition Day, we honor the brave and patriotic Americans who were held as prisoners of war, and we remember those who are still missing in action. For their valor and selfless devotion to protect the country they love, our Nation owes them a debt we can never fully repay. On this day we underscore our commitment and pledge to those who are still missing in action and to their families that we will not rest until we have achieved the fullest possible accounting for every member of our Armed Forces missing in the line of duty.

      To observe this important day, the National League of Families POW/MIA flag is flown over the Capitol, the White House, the World War II Memorial, the Korean War Veterans Memorial, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, and other locations across our country. The flag is a solemn reminder of our Nation's enduring obligation and promise to our courageous service members who remain missing and a tribute to those who have been imprisoned while serving their country in conflicts around the world.

      NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim Friday, September 19, 2008, as National POW/MIA Recognition Day. I call upon the people of the United States to join me in honoring and remembering all former American prisoners of war and those missing in action for their valiant service to our Nation. I also call upon Federal, State, and local government officials and private organizations to observe this day with appropriate ceremonies and activities.

      IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this seventeenth day of September, in the year of our Lord two thousand eight, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-third.

      GEORGE W. BUSH

      # # #

      http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2008/09/20080917-4.html