Joe Fraccola, Sacramento Council, receives Navy honor

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2008
      Nothing like some good news!

      Joe indicates he still has plenty of more decks of cards and can get more. If you have care packages going to troops and desire to include decks of cards contact him.

      My only claim to fame is that I introduced Joe to the Navy League and was his sponsor when he joined. We worked together raising funds for the Veterans Memorial at the Veterans Administration Hospital, Mather Field, Rancho Cordova. I think he will be receiving a Pacific Central Region coin from Don Hale; he has submitted Mike McGrath's Sea Power op-ed piece to a number of newspapers.

      Joe has produced some commendable display boards showing Sacramento Council military support activities. They will be on display Saturday, October 25, at the council's Sea Power Luncheon, Lions Gate Hotel and Conference Center, McClellan Park, North Highlands.

      BRAVO ZULU Joe!

      Phelps Hobart
      Vice President - Veteran Affairs
      Pacific Central Region, NLUS

      For immediate release
      For information contact:
      Nancy Walker, Navy Region Southwest
      Community Support Programs Marketing 619-556-7033

      San Diego, 17 Sept 2008

      Joe Fraccola, Director & Public Affairs Officer of the Sacramento Council for the Navy League of the United States, was awarded an official Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) appreciation plaque at the annual MWR POW/MIA Fun Run/Walk held at Naval Base San Diego, Sept. 10, 2008. Mr. Franccola was invited to attend the event as a guest of MWR in honor of his outstanding contribution of 75,000 decks of playing cards to the MWR program. The cards were distributed during the holiday season to military personnel throughout MWR’s Navy Region Southwest.

      "Joe served his country overseas during two wars; you would think he had given enough. I'm amazed, however, that he has continued to find ways to serve his country, fellow veterans, active duty military and military family members for more than 60 years!; said Irene Wells, MWR’s Regional Sponsorship Coordinator. "We are proud to know him and honored that he took time to spend with our Sailors this week."
      During his two-day stay in San Diego, Mr. Fraccola was able to see first hand MWR’s dedication to the morale of its military personnel.

      "I am very impressed with MWR and all they do for the men and women serving their country", said Mr. Fraccola. "I am very pleased to see that the playing cards that I contributed reached the thousands of Sailors, Marines and Soldiers over the holiday season."

      Since 1996, Mr. Fraccola has coordinated the donation of playing cards through his "Operation Enduring Freedom Project". His playing cards have reached thousands of individuals who are away from home serving their country in the fight against terrorism and he says he sees no end to this internally satisfying program.

      "Operation Enduring Freedom has been the most rewarding volunteer job I have ever done. I felt privileged to provide this simple recreation for the morale and welfare of the great men and women who put their lives on the line every day to serve this great country of ours. God bless America," said Mr. Fraccola.

      Mr. Fraccola is a World War II veteran who served in the Army Corp of Engineers. He also served in Vietnam as a military civilian and is a lifetime member of the VFW, DAV and Navy League Sacramento Council. Another project of Mr. Fraccola’s for almost thirty years is his work with elementary school students to help make and deliver greeting cards to patients at Veterans Hospitals.

      If you would like to follow in Mr. Fraccola’s footsteps and give back to the men and women of the uniformed services contact Irene Wells today at (619) 556-7464 to find out how your Sponsorship of Navy Region Southwest MWR programs and services can make a difference in the lives of those who serve their country.

      ###

      PHOTO CUTLINE:
      Joe Fraccola, Director & Public Affairs Officer of the Sacramento Council for the Navy League of the United States is given an official Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) appreciation plaque from Naval Base San Diego's Site Manager, Ron Vogel, at the annual MWR POW/MIA Fun Run/Walk held at Naval Base San Diego, Sept. 10, 2008. Mr. Fraccola was invited to attend the event as a guest of MWR in honor of his outstanding contribution of 75,000 decks of playing cards to the MWR program. The cards were distributed during the holiday season to military personnel throughout MWR’s Navy Region Southwest.