California State Fair

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2008
      There is more on the California State Fair than can be placed in an E-mail but I wanted to give you a "heads up" and encourage you to pass the word on one special day - First Responders Day, Tuesday, August 19.

      This is the Fair's salute to the military, law enforcement, fire departments, and emergency medical personnel. Most of the military services will likely have their booths throughout the weeks the Fair is open, August 15 through September 1.

      Veterans with some sort of printed proof, military,  and sea cadets, young marines, and JROTC in uniform should be able to get through the gates for free on the 19th. There remains a fee for vehicle parking.

      The gates open at noon and at noon is a memorial service just to the right / north of the main entrance. There you will fine twisted structural metal from the former World Trade Center, New York City. One group is working with the US Postal Service to send post cards to military personnel overseas - look for it nearby as well.

      The Sacramento Council will have a Navy League information table in the shaded area to the left / south of the main entrance. Next to us will be veteran groups and other compatriots.

      Tuesday is a great day to bring children. There are several activities for them as well as free admission for all under 12 years of age. Carnival rides are $1 for everyone. Poppy the Bear, the official mascot of the California State Fair, states, "I love the Fair and everything associated with it. I have started a FREE club just for kids who want to enjoy the Fair all year round! Poppy Pals Club (PPC) members receive special PPC merchandise, a regular newsletter with fun games and advance notice on any Fair-related activities! Poppy Pals are VICs (Very Important Cubs) at the State Fair. Wear your official PPC name badge and get the royal treatment anytime you're here!" More about this is available on line, http://bigfun.org/2005/KidsZone/poppypals/index.asp.

      To stay overnight, metro Sacramento does not lack for hotels and motels. One possible suggestion, Days Inn, 3425 Orange Grove Ave., North Highlands, has some good weekday rates - possibly less than $50 one or two beds, a pool, complementary breakfast and a dinner coupon. Call (916) 488-4100 or go online, http://www.daysinncalifornia.com/html/days-inn-sacramento-ca-hotels.asp. From I-80 exit Watt Avenue North then turn left on Orange Grove Avenue. Strada Pasta and Grill is next door.

      Pass the word - you won't run out of things to do at the California State Fair.

      Phelps

      About the State Fair
      Fair Daily Schedule
      Fair Times and Prices
      Ticket Sales & Merchandise
      Maps & Directions
      Security
      Guest Services
      Lodging
      Poppy Pals Club
      Step Up Program
      Contact Us

      Event Details

      08.19
       First Responders Day

      Location:

      Time:
      12:00 PM

      Event Details:
      Join us to pay tribute to the men & woman of the Armed Forces, Veterans, Law Enforcement and Emergency Response Services. Enjoy various educational materials and view actual response vehicles provided by our First Responders.