Mare Faire, August 8 & 9
- Looking for a short distance weekend adventure? Try the Mare Faire August 8 & 9.Mare Faire?The Mare Island Shoreline Heritage Preserve invites all to their event at Mare Island. This year marks the 150th anniversary of the Mare Island Naval Cemetery, the oldest US Navy cemetery in the Pacific. Last year was the 150th anniversary of the Mare Island Naval Ammunition Depot.Ever heard of the Port Chicago Mutiny? Three weeks after the Port Chicago explosion - the greatest lost of life and property on home soil during World War II - the surviving workers viewed their "work stoppage" as a way to bargain for better and safer working conditions. The Navy took a different position and court-martialed the fifty men who would not return to work. One of the results of the court-martial and the men's imprisonment was a change of policy and the Navy became the first military service to be racially integrated.All of this is going to be commemorated this weekend.Here are some of the activities:
Admission is free. Building A-167 is the main park headquarters and visitors center; it is the starting point for the tours and activities.Website: http://www.mareislandpreserve.org.Telephone: (707) 557-0916Phelps
- Guided outings and tours of the historic and natural features and scenic points.
- Visitor Center displays, exhibits, art show, and slide presentations.
- Live music.
- Good food including a Friday evening barbeque.
- Stargazing Friday night
- Saturday at 1100 a ceremony to commemorate the cemetery and to honor those buried there.
- Saturday at 1400 will be a service in remembrance of the Port Chicago Mutiny.