Fleet Week San Francisco 9 - 14 October 2008

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2008
      Don Hale advises that Kristine Carlock, kriscarlock at comcast dot net, is the Pacific Central Region's Navy League representative on the Fleet Week committee.

      The website, http://fleetweek.us/fleetweek, is a good place to get public information on activities. We will keep you posted if there is anything special for Navy League members.

      To date doesn't seem that the Navy League is a Fleet Week sponsor; at least it isn't indicated. Stealth involvement? Let us know if you get some information on activities that Navy Leaguers are hosting or welcome to attend.

      Anchors Aweigh,

      Fleet Week 2008

      Join us in our celebration of the men and women of our armed forces. A spectacular weekend family event featuring the Navy Blue Angels, a Parade of Navy ships and other exciting demonstrations.

      Want to be a Fleet Week Volunteer? Email us or call 650-599-5057

      Featuring both the United Stated Navy Blue Angels and The Canadian Forces Snowbirds demonstrations teams
      Reserved Seating and VIP tickets are available now

      CHAIRMAN'S GREETING

      Since 1981, San Francisco Fleet Week has been an annual opportunity for Northern Californians to honor the men and women serving in the United States Navy, Coast Guard and Marines... More

      Chairman¬ís Greeting  |  Greeting from the Navy

      FEATURING

      Blue Angels Navy Ships Team Oracle The Snowbirds
      Fleet Week Entertainment brough to you by the Airshow Network
      CALENDAR OF EVENTS (Dates and times subject to change)
      10/9 (Thu)10/10 (Fri)10/11 (Sat)10/12 (Sun)10/13-10/14 (Mon-Tues)

      Noon-5pm

      Blue Angels
      (Survey Flights)

      1pm-3pm

      Air Show Practice

      3pm-4pm

      Blue Angels

      Noon-1pm
      Parade of Fleet Week Ships and Opening Ceremony

      1pm-3pm

      Air Show

      3pm-4pm

      Blue Angels

      Live Broadcast
      11am-4pm

      10am-4pm
      Ship Tours

      1pm-3pm

      Air Show

      3pm-4pm

      Blue Angels

      12:30pm-3pm
      Italian Heritage Day Parade

      Live Broadcast
      1pm-4pm

      10am-4pm
      Ship Tours

      =
      Click to buy tickets for premium seats

      Click Here for Boater Information

      Get Final Fleet Week Schedule: Get the finalized Fleet Week schedule,
      ship tour details, and ship information e-mailed to you before the event.

      • Email:

      EVENT INFORMATION

      Witness aerial demonstrations by the Navy's Blue Angels, Team Oracle, and the Air Force's F-16 Demonstration Team!
      Performers:
      Blue Angels
      Team Oracle
      The Snowbirds
      Blue Angels
      Team Oracle
      The Snowbirds
      Schedule:
      10/9 (Thu)
      Noon - 5pm
      Blue Angel Survey Flights & Practice
      10/10 (Fri)
      1 - 5pm*
      Air Show Practice & Blue Angels
      10/11 (Sat)
      1 - 5pm*
      Air Show & Blue Angels
      10/12 (Sun)
      1 - 5pm*
      Air Show & Blue Angels
      *Blue Angels fly at 3pm
      Fleet Week 2008 Air Show Acts
      Location:
      Air Show: SF Waterfront (Directions)
      Premium Seats are available on 10/11 (Sat) & 10/12 (Sun)

      Ticket Information

      Get a great view of the action right up front with Premium Box Seats for only $25. Reserved seats along the waterfront, comfortable with no crowds.

      Treat yourself to a VIP seat in our luxurious, fully-catered Flight Deck Club on Marina Green. Tickets are $150 for adults and $75 for children aged 4 to 12.

      Corporate Packages are available. Consider a company picnic while watching the full show dress rehearsal on Friday, Oct 10, 2008. For more information contact SFFleetweek@...

      Parade of Fleet Week Ships/Ship Visits

      Get a FREE topside tour of several Naval ships conducted by
      ship crewmembers!
      Fleet Week 2008 Ship Tour Procedures

      Fleet Week 2008 Ships

      Schedule:
      10/11 (Sat)
      10/12 (Sun)
      10/13 (Mon)
      10/14 (Tues)
      Noon - 1pm
      Noon - 4pm
      Noon - 4pm
      Noon - 4pm
      Parade of Fleet Week Ships
      Ship Visits
      Ship Visits
      Ship Visits
      Location:
      Parade of U.S. Navy Ships: SF Waterfront
      (
      Directions)
      Ship Visits: Various piers (Info coming soon)

      139th Italian Heritage Day Parade

      Participate in San Francisco's oldest civic event as the parade winds its way from Fisherman's Wharf to North Beach.

      Schedule:
      10/12 (Sun)
      12:30 - 3:00pm
      Location:
      Fisherman's Wharf / North Beach (Directions)

      Questions on Fleet Week?       Phone: 650-599-5057        Email: SFFleetweek@...

      Press & Media
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 10, 2008
        Re: Fleet Week San Francisco 9 - 14 October 2008

        Two United States Navy ships this year.

        USS Pinckney (DDG 91)

        USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6)

        CGC Bertholf (WMLS 750)

        SS Jeremiah O'Brien

        For the latest on Fleet Week click on http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news/?ei=utf-8&fr=slv8-&p=San%20Francisco%20Fleet%20Week.

         Blue Angels top Fleet Week events

        (10-06) 17:44 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- A good pair of binoculars and an even better pair of earplugs might come in handy this week as the giant ships and the noisy jets return for Fleet Week in San Francisco.

        The window-rattling Blue Angels will be flying for four straight afternoons, with practice flights Thursday and Friday and air show performances Saturday and Sunday.

        The decibels began cranking up Monday afternoon, as the blue jets zipped over the Golden Gate Bridge, switched on their smoke machines and zoomed around the bay in their trademark triangle "delta" formation, touching down at 2:30 p.m. at San Francisco International Airport.

        They landed on the same runway 15 seconds apart - instead of the usual 2-minute separation required of commercial jets.

        "These guys are used to flying together," said airport spokesman Mike McCarron. "So it's no big deal."

        Tens of thousands of spectators are expected along the northern waterfront, from the Golden Gate Bridge to the Embarcadero, to watch the annual parade of ships Saturday and the air shows Saturday and Sunday. A spot in the official grandstand costs $25 to $150, but looking up at the sky from any other place is free.

        Events start Thursday at noon, with the six F/A-18 Hornet jets of the Blue Angels conducting a 5-hour practice flight. On Friday, the other planes in the air shows will practice, along with the Blue Angels.

        Windows will rattle, dogs will howl and a lot of people will complain about the ruckus. But those cries are traditionally drowned out by cheers from enthralled fans, and also drowned out by the jet engines.

        On Saturday, four ships, including the amphibious assault ship Bonhomme Richard, will parade from the Golden Gate Bridge to the waterfront, beginning at 11:30 a.m. An hour later, the air show begins.

        This year, the fliers will include the Canadian Forces Snowbirds, eight red-and-white jets from Canada, along with a Coast Guard helicopter, an Air Force F-16 jet and acrobatic stunt pilots Tim Weber, Sean Tucker and Michael Wiskus.

        At 3 p.m., the Blue Angels will perform for about an hour.

        And at 7:15 p.m., after the Blue Angel pilots have landed their planes and traveled by somewhat slower land-based vehicles to San Francisco, they will sign autographs at Pier 39.

        On Sunday, the air show and Blue Angels will perform an encore, and the ships will be open for free tours from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. along the waterfront. Air shows and practice flights may be changed or canceled if the weather turns bad, but the early word from the National Weather Service is that it won't.

        The U.S. Navy has two pages of rules for shipboard visitors, including a strict ban on running, on backpacks and on the wearing of skirts. It was not clear whether the skirt ban is intended to keep visitors from injury or to keep sailors from looking.

        On Saturday and Sunday, a Fleet Week festival will take place at Fort Mason and concerts will be held at Ghirardelli Square and Pier 39.

        On Sunday, the planes will compete for attention with the 139th annual Italian Heritage Day parade, once known as the Columbus Day Parade in less-aware times. This year the grand marshal is former Los Angeles Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda, known for being nearly as loud as a Blue Angel.

        The Blue Angels, organized by legendary Adm. Chester Nimitz, have been flying since 1946. Each jet is 56 feet long, costs $21 million and flies at about 1,400 mph, or 23 times faster than a BART train.

        Fleet Week highlights

        Events taking place for Fleet Week in San Francisco:

        -- Thursday

        Noon to 5 p.m. - Blue Angels practice flights over San Francisco.

        -- Friday

        1 to 4 p.m. - Practice flights by Blue Angels and air show participants.

        -- Saturday

        11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. - Parade of Ships.

        12:30 to 3 p.m. - Air show.

        3 to 4 p.m. - Blue Angels show.

        -- Sunday

        11 a.m. to 4 p.m. - Ship tours, Piers 15, 29 and 30/32.

        12:30 to 3 p.m. - Air show.

        3 to 4 p.m. - Blue Angels show.

        -- Monday and Tuesday

        11 a.m. to 4 p.m. - Ship tours, Piers 15, 29 and 30/32.

        For more information, visit www.fleetweek.us/fleetweek