New maritime security courses | USCG Maritime Security Industry Day

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27, 2008
      Members and Friends,

      We commend Captain Bruce Clark, Maritime Security Director, John Ostrander, Maritime Security Program Manager (Curriculum & Services) and the rest of the California Maritime Academy team for developing the curricula and now receiving the state and federal approvals. All are needed in these times. For a bit more information see the media release we received today.

      Tuesday, July 1st at the California Maritime Academy is a full day on the very subject. Our newest council member (he joined today) Ed Hughlett

      Ed Hughlett

      Regional Safety & Health Manager

      Northern California

      Ports America Group - West Coast

      5190 Seventh Street

      Oakland, Calif. 94607

      Office: 510-645-2466

      Fax: 510-839-4883

      Cell: 510-773-9541

      Email: ed.hughlett@...

      Web: www.portsamerica.com

      advised me of the USCG Maritime Security Industry Day at the Academy. About 150 are expected to attend; the start time is 0700 and it wraps up about 1700! He and I will be attending. There is no fee - give me a call if you should have an interest in this area and would like to register and attend.

      I will attend Workshop Session 1: Updates Maritime Transportation System Recovery Unit  and Workshop Session 2: Homeport Training and Updates
      I have been attending the California Maritime Security Council gatherings regularly in Sacramento. That is were I first met Ed. The next CMSC meeting is 1000, Friday, July 18th at the California  Employment Development Department Auditorium, 722 Capitol Mall. Again you are welcome to attend.

      You have seen in Captain's Call and here information on port and maritime security. Expect more details on this subject. In fact our next luncheon meeting and program, Monday, September 8th, will likely focus on one aspect of this subject - piracy.

      All the best,

      Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 5:50 PM
      Subject: RE: Courses Approval

      Contact:

      Doug Webster                                                          W: (707) 654-1720

      Director of Public Relations                                        C:  (707) 328-1887

      California Maritime Academy                                      E:  dwebster@...

      200 Maritime Academy Dr.

      Vallejo, CA 94590-8181

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      Cal Maritime Security Courses Win State and Federal ApprovalS

      (Vallejo, CA -- June 26, 2008)…The California Maritime Academy  (Cal Maritime), a campus of  The California State University, has received U.S. Department of Homeland Security approval for three Maritime Security training courses offered through Cal Maritime’s Sponsored Projects and Extended Learning Department.  Cal Maritime is the only training organization in the country delivering Maritime Security Courses certified by the Coast Guard, The U.S. Maritime Administration (MARAD), and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) as meeting the requirements of the Maritime Transportation Security Act (MTSA), the International Maritime Organization’s (IMO) International Ship and Port Security Code (ISPS), and State and Federal emergency management standards.  As such, the courses are eligible for DHS grant reimbursement under the Homeland Security and Port Security Grant Programs.

                  Cal Maritime’s new security courses are offered through the university’s Extended Learning Division on a scheduled basis, and some have been integrated into elective upper-division undergraduate courses as well.  In addition to sessions on regulatory aspects, security assessments and plan development/auditing, the courses also include sessions on Weapons of Mass Destruction, Hazardous Material Releases, and the Incident Command System (ICS)/National Incident Management System (NIMS).  The state and federal approvals underscore Cal Maritime’s leadership in maritime security training and education in the Pacific Rim .  The courses include:

      Combined Company, Vessel, and Facility Security Officer: Also approved by the Coast Guard and MARAD, this course meets the STCW training requirements for Vessel Security Officer.  It provides professionals involved with port vessel/facility operations, or likely to be designated as Company/Vessel/Facility Security Officers, an excellent foundational training to perform their specific roles and responsibilities.

                  Conforming to IMO Course Models 3.19, 3.20, and 3.21, the course addresses all subject areas specified in the Maritime Transportation Security Act (MTSA) 2002. Qualified instructors deliver this course as either a three-day instructor-led professional development course for maritime professionals, or a 22-hour classroom lecture for license-track undergraduate cadets.

      Basic Maritime Security Awareness: A complete and comprehensive Maritime Security Awareness training package.  It provides personnel not assigned specific maritime security duties with an excellent introduction to the specific roles and responsibilities within maritime security regulations, operational restrictions, and plans. The course conforms to, and addresses all the subject areas contained in the MARAD-developed MTSA 04-03 Model Course.  The course is four hours in length, is scheduled at the Academy, and can be delivered at any suitable location.

      First Responder Operational Maritime Security (FROMS): This course is targeted for delivery to all first responders with responsibilities in the domestic maritime domain, including fire service, law enforcement, emergency management, emergency medical services, and private security. Adapted from the Maritime Administration Model Course MTSA 05-01, Maritime Security for Military, First Responder, and Law Enforcement Personnel (MSLEP) dated October 2005, the course is an excellent introduction to the maritime security/port security arena. It provides outstanding examples of real-world events that have influenced national and international policies and cooperative efforts. Students can gain an excellent appreciation for the complex nature, importance, and impacts of maritime threats in a port or harbor/waterside industrial complex.

                  For more information on Cal Maritime’s new state/federal-approved security training courses, please contact Veronica Boe at 707-654-1156 or at vboe@....  Information on the full range of Cal Maritime’s Extended Learning Courses, including a full course catalog, can be found at http://www.maritime-education.com/index.html

      The California Maritime Academy , Vallejo , CA , a campus of The California State University , is one of only seven degree-granting maritime academies in the United States , and the only one on the West Coast.  Cal Maritime offers four-year degrees in business administration, facilities engineering technology, global studies and maritime affairs, marine engineering technology, marine transportation, and mechanical engineering, as well as professional development and extended learning programs and courses.  For more information about Cal Maritime, visit www.csum.edu.

      ##

      Regards,

      Doug Webster

      Director of Public Relations

      The California Maritime Academy

      200 Maritime Academy Drive

      Vallejo, CA94590-8181

      707-654-1720

      707-328-1887 Cell

      707-654-1247 FAX

      dwebster@...

    • scclg
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2008
        It was quite a day. In addition to Ed and myself, Admiral Johnson was
        there. Topics addressed brought attendees up to date on several items.

        The USCG in the 11th District maritime security structure was
        explained. Several speakers as expected were USCG personnel.
        Noteworthy was Chief Rob Busby (USCG Port Safety & Security).

        Not too much in port security hardware gets installed without federal
        funds. The $$$ are flowing to the ports via grants. An important USCG
        District 11 individual on funding and other security matters is
        Captain Paul M. Gugg, USCG, Captain of the Port and Federal Maritime
        Security Coordinator.

        Captain Bruce Clark spoke on the new security training programs at
        CMA. He was appreciative of the coverage we gave to his courses and
        the USCG Maritime Security Industry Day.

        An awful lot of this security business seems to float on a sea of
        paper - reports, plans, guidelines, etc. Little actually is simulated
        disaster events. Ahead the major exercise Golden Guardian November
        2009 will involved at least 11 of California's 24 ports. Damage
        control training sessions aboard ship are a common occurrence; ashore
        not so. Security Recovery Units was a topic - it is critical that
        ports return to operating condition.

        The most lively dialogue centered around the Transportation Worker
        Identification Credential Program. The whole day could have been
        devoted to TWIC. There are a lot of questions and many remain
        unanswered. There is no way I see this program being implemented by
        its due date of 15 April 2009. About 300,000 have applied for the
        card; about 100,000 now have the card. It cost $123 to get a card and
        not everyone has an employer paying for it! So far only 19
        individuals have been rejected. A looming expense for ports and ships
        is getting individuals to and from a docked ship and outside the port
        gate. Passenger vessels and ferries have their own challenges. One
        estimate is 1.5 million will need TWIC cards. Chief Busby fielded
        most of the questions and this seems to occupy a good deal of his
        time at his desk as well.

        The USCG's information portal Homeport, http://homeport.uscg.mil was
        reviewed. Take a look; the next Captain's Call will highlight
        Homeport.

        It was good to meet and network with men and women who deal on a
        daily basis with port security.

        Chevron Oil picked up the tab for everyone's lunch. Most appreciated.
        Telephone me or Ed if you should have questions on the day.

        Afterwards I visited with Captain Shirley Kohwles in her office. At
        the end of July she retires from CMA. As Director, Career Services &
        Industrial Relations, she knows scads of important individuals in the
        maritime industry. CMA is her second career; she was with Crowley
        before coming to CMA. In any case she is now our newest council
        member and she has accepted the invitation to join as a Director. We
        are most grateful; industrial relations and membership will be her
        focus.

        --- In PMMC-NLUS@yahoogroups.com, "Pacific Merchant Marine Council,
        NLUS" <pmmc@...> wrote:

        Members and Friends,

        We commend Captain Bruce Clark, Maritime Security Director, John
        Ostrander, Maritime Security Program Manager (Curriculum & Services)
        and the rest of the California Maritime Academy team for developing
        the curricula and now receiving the state and federal approvals. All
        are needed in these times. For a bit more information see the media
        release we received today.

        Tuesday, July 1st at the California Maritime Academy is a full day on
        the very subject. Our newest council member (he joined today) Ed
        Hughlett advised me of the USCG Maritime Security Industry Day at the