Midyear Symposium Luncheon, 9 June, Wrapup

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2008
      Dear Members and Friends,

      I think all who attend our luncheon Monday had an enjoyable time. We sure had great fellowship, a fine meal, and an interesting program.

      It is my express intent to use these luncheons as a means of sharing news and items of interest. We covered the waterfront with the diversity of topics.

      With the sound of 8 bells, I called the luncheon meeting to order. Fr. Jim Wade, our council chaplain,  was prepared with a thoughtful invocation. Mike Roberts, our guest from Washington D. C., posted the colors and Admiral Johnson led us in the pledge. Let me touch on some of the items shared by the members.

      Guests Julio Blea, along with his wife, brought attractive prints of the USCG Cutter BERTHOLF and sold three. The sale of the prints will assist the ship's welfare and recreation fund.

      Captain Chick Gedney, quite involved with the Master Mariners, shared some news of the group's national conference in Reno.

      Don Hale gave an update on region news. He is encouraging Navy Leaguers who are interested in serving the League as a national director to apply.

      Others talked on upcoming events, Festival of Sail, Golf Tournament, Fleet Week, etc. Most everything has been announced in Captain's Call and on this website.

      The program was well presented and I thank all who participated. The subject was possibly too large but a few individual cases showed the ramifications of the Jones Act.

      The council for the first time had a silent auction to accompany the drawing - three model illuminated lighthouses and lighthouse jewelry donated by Phelps. For the drawing we thank Norman Freitag for Jim Shaw's large format book Tugboats, Jim Wade for the bottle of wine, and Phelps for the AMMV caps. First prize was $50; Catherine Gedney had the winning ticket. Bless her, she gave it back to the council to help cover future expenses.

      Our luncheons will remain on a quarterly schedule. Circle Monday, 8 September and 8 December for our next ones.

      Phelps